reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Hey all, VERY new to the networking guff, and have very limited knowleadge of anything network related - i know howto change IP/DNS settings and stuff, just not know what settings above that means/does/effects anything

If i explain what my intentions are, maybe there is a simple way.. I have trawled through the internet and have found some interested stuff, but does seem rather complicated and seem to use 3rd party software rather then Windows own.

I have a PC which has 6 HDD's which total around 1.7Teragigs of space (Or 1700Gig) - i am in the process of upgrading completely to a new system and transfering only the Graphics card from this system to the new. I have alot of data/reports/music etc on the old system and rather then just copy it over, i had the genuis (for me anyways) plan of turning it into a file server so my new PC would connect to it and either use from the server, or transfer it as necassary.

Now, this is were my genius left me and the big question is HOW?....

My Old PC Specs:
Windows Vista Business SP2 32bit
AMD X2 4200+ CPU
4gb DDR2 800mhz Ram
1.7TG of Space (6x HDD's)
Will install a budget gcard

I have heard or seen that a "Network" cable (would presume a cross over) can be connected to both and that would suffice and they could see each given the fact there on the same IP Range.. - Is it that simple?

Also heard that you hard wire connect each PC to your Broadband router - This is a no go option for me as the router is down stairs and i connect wirelessly.

The New system will be a gaming system with Windows 7 64bit - Does this make a difference? Do they have to be both linked on the same OS? (both vista or Win 7 etc)

I would prefer to keep the exsiting OS, rather than reverting to Lynix or the others..

Any help or advice would be much appreciated - Many Thanks

Jamie

G

Start by connecting the two machines by crossover ethernet cable. Set file sharing on relevant folders. Turn off firewalls while setting up the connection. Check both computers' names (Control Panel, System). Go to Networking wizard and Add New Network Place.

The main issue is the time Windows takes to detect the other computer -- and the off mixture of pedantic and unreliable ways it reacts to trying to create the new network place. So be patient.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Tried the crossover cable and shared all the folders and all worked fine.

Was just think, is there a "Wireless" way of doing the above?

riser

Illustrious
If both computers connect over the wireless, you won't need a crossover cable unless you wanted increased speeds.

You can do a crossover cable directly to each computer. You will want to assign a static IP address in the same range (192.168.10.100 & 101) and use the same subnet 255.255.255.0 - You won't need a default gateway.

On each computer make sure you have the same user created with the same password. You will need to share out a drive (google it, easy to do) and connect to the other computer by IP address - The computer name will not work right now since you do not have DNS working and the local host file hasn't been modified.

To connect to the other computer you would type \\computerIPaddress\share

Example: \\192.168.1.100\share

When you share a folder you name the share. This can be anything - "music" "Files" "stuff" etc.

\\192.168.1.100\music

By default, if you are a local admin you can connect to the admin share: \\192.168.1.100\C$

The $ hides the share so you can't easily browse the network for you. You have to know it exists to get to it.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
By the way if your are going to do wireless, It was take a very very very long time to copy almost 2 terabytes of data. Copy time I am guessing in the days category depending on what Wireless your are using, and how you have it set up.
So i would use wired, that is still going to take awhile but will be hours not days.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I wont be coping Terabytes of data over, just wanting a file server so i can house my documents/music/films on a dedicated machine to have access to these from a copule of computers.

Also, via the wired option, is it possible i connect the file server to a hub, to then connect a couple of laptops to the hub to get the same effect as the cross over connection, or is it a different setup for that?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yes a hub/switch will work and be the same set up. You will not use cross over cables, but a patch cable.

If this is going to be a long term network I would recommend getting a router, or something with a DHCP server built in. This will audo do all of the things Riser was talking about with the IPs and subnet, as well I you can plug in internet and it will shair the internet with all of the computers on the network. So you just plug computer in to it and they just work.
Router price range can be anywhere from $30 to $150 for home routers. I would recommend a router in the $50-$80 price range. Most of them Have built in switches so you can plug in 4 device to them, as well as Wireless access. You can also plug in other switch so you can add more devices if you need to.

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
I would reccomend getting an external wireless device that basically connects to the wireless ap and then gives an ethernet connection, and then getting a switch and plugging all devices, including the wireless device into it.

This would give both machines network access, and preserver wireline speeds between the 2 devices.