Canon 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 23, 2005 1:43:27 AM

Hello

I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon 350D on
DPReview.
What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
200%? It is on quite a few of the edges, but not on others that seem to
be in the same light. I downloaded the full res image img_3784.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg

Mike Engles

More about : canon 350d

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:43:28 AM

In article <421BB594.30E9@btinternet.com>,
Mike Engles <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon 350D on
> DPReview.
> What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
> 200%? It is on quite a few of the edges, but not on others that seem to
> be in the same light. I downloaded the full res image img_3784.jpg
>

> http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg
>
> Mike Engles

It's from zooming in too much on 8Mpix photos taken with the cheap kit
lens. Lens quality is very important if you need all 8 million of those
pixels looking good.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:15:51 AM

"Mike Engles" <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon 350D on
> DPReview.
> What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
> 200%?

It looks like sharpening halos to me. (Rant: I really want a sharpening
algorithm that reduces it's strength for higher contrast edges.)

(The jagginess is at least partly due to the 200% display: try resizing the
image up in photoshop instead.)

> http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
February 23, 2005 11:15:52 AM

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> "Mike Engles" <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon 350D on
> > DPReview.
> > What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
> > 200%?
>
> It looks like sharpening halos to me. (Rant: I really want a sharpening
> algorithm that reduces it's strength for higher contrast edges.)
>
> (The jagginess is at least partly due to the 200% display: try resizing the
> image up in photoshop instead.)
>
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Hello

Thanks for the reply.
I was'nt concerned about about the jaggies. It is the red/blue fringing.
It is the curious transitions. It is all over th image, along all edges.
It is quite visible at 100% viewing. Al least it is'nt magenta/green!

Mike Engles
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:15:52 AM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> (Rant: I really want a sharpening algorithm that reduces it's
> strength for higher contrast edges.)

Try this blending on a duplicate sharpened layer:
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/downloads/Non-clippe...;

Bart
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:51:45 PM

Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Mike Engles <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
>> 200%? It is on quite a few of the edges, but not on others that seem to
>> be in the same light. I downloaded the full res image img_3784.jpg
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg
>
> It's from zooming in too much on 8Mpix photos taken with the cheap kit
> lens. Lens quality is very important if you need all 8 million of those
> pixels looking good.

That's what I was going to say.

Do you have any idea what lens was used for the photo you cropped?
If at the edge, color aberration doesn't look as bad as I'd expect
from the 18-55/3.5-5.6 EFS kit lens.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:53:48 PM

"Mike Engles" <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon
> 350D on DPReview.
> What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen
> grab at 200%?

According to the EXIF, the Contrast, Saturation and the Sharpness were
set to +1 (= Parameter 1 settings), which would strengthen any
Chromatic Aberration the that lens produces and it attempts to boost
color edge contrast which will lead to artifacts. Whether those
artifacts are visible in print remains to be seen, but I would never
shoot such a high contrast scene on Parameter 1 settings. Also, a
better raw conversion could probably prevent such effects (besides, it
is a beta model).

Bart
February 23, 2005 8:02:12 PM

Thats true, and i really dont understand the theory behind them bundleling
the camera with that lens. I think just like the 300d they wont sell the
body without that lens.

What they should have done, was to make packages they same way they did with
the 20D, but then they probably wouldnt sell any of the 18-55mm lenses

sam
www.digitalcity.net.au

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> In article <421BB594.30E9@btinternet.com>,
> Mike Engles <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon 350D on
> > DPReview.
> > What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
> > 200%? It is on quite a few of the edges, but not on others that seem to
> > be in the same light. I downloaded the full res image img_3784.jpg
> >

> > http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg
> >
> > Mike Engles
>
> It's from zooming in too much on 8Mpix photos taken with the cheap kit
> lens. Lens quality is very important if you need all 8 million of those
> pixels looking good.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:02:13 PM

In article <421c1b7c$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, "Sam" <sam@dc> wrote:

> Thats true, and i really dont understand the theory behind them bundleling
> the camera with that lens. I think just like the 300d they wont sell the
> body without that lens.
>
> What they should have done, was to make packages they same way they did with
> the 20D, but then they probably wouldnt sell any of the 18-55mm lenses
>
> sam
> www.digitalcity.net.au

I don't think Canon is making any mistake by including a cheap lens.
Switching from a P&S to DSLR is very expensive and even scary. The
cheap lens lets people start using the camera right away with a minimal
initial purchase. They can worry about lenses once they get a feel for
how a DSLR camera works. When new users do buy better lenses, they
won't regret buying the kit lens because $100 isn't a bad deal for it.

I can say this from experience. I liked the 300D right away but buying
lenses is slow and painful. I even replaced a broken kit lens because I
could not find another lightweight wide angle zoom at the time. The
10-20 EF-S wasn't out yet.

> "Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> > In article <421BB594.30E9@btinternet.com>,
> > Mike Engles <mike.sengles@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have been looking at the test images from the new Canon 350D on
> > > DPReview.
> > > What would be the cause of the edge fringing in this screen grab at
> > > 200%? It is on quite a few of the edges, but not on others that seem to
> > > be in the same light. I downloaded the full res image img_3784.jpg
> > >

> > > http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/redblue.jpg
> > >
> > > Mike Engles
> >
> > It's from zooming in too much on 8Mpix photos taken with the cheap kit
> > lens. Lens quality is very important if you need all 8 million of those
> > pixels looking good.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:02:13 PM

In article <421c1b7c$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, sam@dc says...
> I think just like the 300d they wont sell the
> body without that lens.

You can buy body-only. If the shop won't sell it to you that way, just
tell them you'll order it online for less.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
!