Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pc to tv desktop cloning

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 28, 2011 5:14:27 PM

Hello,
connecting tv to pc - with vga cable - worked fine 1st time, now 2nd time (two weeks later) only desktop wallpaper shows on tv - icons and taskbar missing. Tried to uncheck 'Extend my Windows' but then tv screen shows blank with 'no signal' at the bottom.


Reduced resolution, tried Fn and F key and F8...nothing brings up the icons on the tv and when I click the icons on the pc, it works but does not show on the tv - only the wallpaper shows.

Please help/advise

More about : desktop cloning

February 28, 2011 6:48:49 PM

The issue is the extending of the desktop. You want it to duplicate the display, not extend.

What version of windows are you using?

If you have nvidia console for catalyst control center installed, open those programs and then adjust the monitors from there rather than through windows.
March 1, 2011 10:19:09 AM

Pallimud said:
The issue is the extending of the desktop. You want it to duplicate the display, not extend.

What version of windows are you using?

If you have nvidia console for catalyst control center installed, open those programs and then adjust the monitors from there rather than through windows.


Hi Pallimud,

I'm using Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. The TV is 40" LCD HD Sony.

Please can you explain step by step on how my icons and taskbar also appear on the TV monitor. As mentioned, first time it was fine - I used laptop to guide what I wanted to do and everything was reflected on the TV monitor...now only the wallpaper shows and no icons or taskbar, and when I click on my laptop desktop, the actions occur only on the laptop monitor.

Many thx!
Related resources
March 1, 2011 1:28:13 PM

Do you have nvidia console for catalyst control center installed? You should see either icon next to your clock on your task bar.
March 1, 2011 4:04:38 PM

Pallimud said:
Do you have nvidia console for catalyst control center installed? You should see either icon next to your clock on your task bar.


No I believe I do not, as none of the icons next to my clock show this name. Is it something I should download? Is it free?
March 2, 2011 5:39:43 PM

If you don't have them then most like you can't download.

Try this, right click your desktop and go to Properties.

Then click the Settings tab.

Now click on Advanced. Do you have a tab now that has a logo next to it? What does the tab say if you do have it?
March 3, 2011 9:11:51 AM

Pallimud said:
If you don't have them then most like you can't download.

Try this, right click your desktop and go to Properties.

Then click the Settings tab.

Now click on Advanced. Do you have a tab now that has a logo next to it? What does the tab say if you do have it?





Hi again,

On the Advance button brings up the following tabs: general, adapter, monitor, troubleshoot and colour management.

Which tab should I look at?

many thx!
March 3, 2011 8:07:21 PM

Under adapter what does it say for Adapter Type and also Chip Type under adapter information.

Usually with laptops the FN+F8 will do what you need done but I'm not sure why it only extends and isn't duplicating.
!