Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for a Mid-range Cp

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2011 1:36:40 PM

My friend is in the market for a pre-built gaming rig, and we have 1 grand in our pockets now. I already have some recommended sites, and have bought from Ballistic (Now Beta-Force) before.

We're much too lazy to build, and that doesn't jive too well with upcoming exams anyway.

I would appreciate much help.

this is what I have in mind so far for basics:

i5 2500
NVIDIA 560 ti 1G
H67 for the motherboard? (would like to add another card in future).
4-6G 1600MHz RAM
a 1000 or 900 watt power supply (Do we need more for SLI?)
1TB 7200 Hard Drive
64-bit Win 7
and a 20ish monitor.

I know parts are going to move about, but I would like to include a Corsair closed system water cooler if possible, and I have little trust in all out water cooling.

Thanks for your time!!!

More about : mid range

May 6, 2011 1:53:55 PM

If you get an H67 board and an i5 2500, you won't be able to overclock the processor, so no need for a Corsair Hydro series. If you do want to overclock, you want the 2500k and a P67 board.

Two 560s would run fine on even a good 850 Watt like a Corsair, Antec, XFX, or Seasonic.

20" monitor will most likely be 1600 x 900. At that resolution, SLI won't be needed for so long that you'll likely be building another system by then. If you can configure these specific parts on that site, I'd go for something like this for $1000

i5 2500k ($230)
Gigabyte UD4 ($180)
GTX 560 Ti ($250)
XFX or Corsair 850 W ($130?)
HAF 912 ($60)
4 or 8 GB of CAS 8, 1600 MHz RAM ($60 - $110)

- You need dual channel with P67, so you don't want 6 GBs of RAM. You want a pair.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB ($65)

Do you already have that 20" monitor?
m
l
May 6, 2011 1:59:07 PM

I guess the alternative choices to shave the cost down (to fit in monitor and Windows) would be to get 4 GBs of RAM, get the AsRock Extreme4 motherboard or a cheaper H67 board, get the i5 2500.

A lot of the H67 boards I've seen don't support dual-card configurations. They either only have one PCIe x16 lane or they have two operating at x16 and x4.
m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2011 2:06:19 PM

I forgot about the dual channel necessity. And this isn't going to be my computer, so any preferences will have to be checked, but he isn't the biggest gamer on the planet, and doesn't like FPS's in general. And overclocking isn't really needed, as he doesn't need the extra juice (LAN parties aren't the biggest amongst his friends), but internet gaming is. would an upgrade to a Killer Network Card be recommended?

His biggest game at the moment is Wow, so I don't suspect that 1080 will be desired anytime soon. He's upgrading from a '05 ish dell, and currently uses a mac for gaming needs.

And on a side note, could the GPU drop to a 550 to squeeze in some cash for Microsoft Office? (we are students after all)

Thanks for replying so quickly!
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:23:19 PM

And yes, he's going to be using my old 20 in asus. But there is a scratch in that one now, so a new one would be nice, (but pricier).
m
l

Best solution

May 6, 2011 2:53:53 PM

I wouldn't go below a 560 Ti. If you absolutely have to, the GTX 460 1 GB is the next step down. Especially if you plan on upgrading the monitor some time later.

Also, I really think you should build this. I don't know how much that site charges for labor, but you could have this done in 3 hours or so easy. Save a few bucks, put them towards parts and software.

You might want to check your campus bookstore for discounts on Microsoft products too. We get Windows 7 here for $7 and the complete microsoft office suite for about the same price. Microsoft themselves also provide discounts for students.
May 7, 2011 4:03:03 PM

Best answer selected by Spearphish.
m
l
!