Sign in with
Your question

Did I kill more than just my motherboard?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
April 19, 2012 10:51:34 PM

I made a bonehead move and plugged an internal USB cable into the 1394 header. After a few minutes, the computer shut off and the device (a flash drive in a multi card reader) literally melted. Now of course the computer won't boot, won't even go to POST.

I'm well aware that I probably killed the motherboard, but can anybody tell me if it's likely that other components could've been damaged in this scenario? Like RAM, power supply, vid card, hard drives? At the moment I don't have any spare parts or systems to narrow things down. Can I get some electronics wizards to give me their opinion as to whether the MB may have been the only thing damaged, so that hopefully I can salvage everything else??

Thanks.

More about : kill motherboard

a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2012 11:09:42 PM

Having done the same thing myself, your other components will *most likely* be fine, your PSU should also be fine.

What I would be worried about is slight voltage fluctuations to your HDD causing it to fail.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2012 11:23:55 PM

Buy one item at a time. Get yourself a new mobo first. I don't think anything else should be bad.
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 20, 2012 5:13:48 AM

Unlikely, but you could have killed the PSU.
m
l
April 20, 2012 5:14:49 AM

It sounds like you crosswired something while the computer is on; your Motherboard is likely toast.

Have you tried starting it with out that USB cable pluged in?
m
l
April 20, 2012 4:22:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a new motherboard first.
m
l
!