Sign in with
Your question

Memory for Z77A-GD65 and CM Hyper 212 EVO

Last response: in Memory
April 19, 2012 10:56:40 PM

Hey dudes :)  I'm back!

I need some help choosing what memory to get for my new build. 16 gigs and i guess 1600 MHz is fine.

This is how it looks:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU: Intel 3770k (when released)
GFX: 680 GTX (not decided)
SSD: Intel 520 120GB
Case: CM Storm Trooper
CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

I recived the motherboard and CPU cooler a few days ago, so i've tested if the cooler with default push fan config will interfer with the memory modules, and it turns out that it outer edge of the fan is right over the middle of the 1st RAM slot. I tried to install a Corsair XMS3 (the tall version) and we are talking millimeters of interference.

I got a few scenarios in my head:

Scenario 1 - Keep the fan where it is and go with low profile memory:

2 x Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz (2x4GB) (mix of black and blue to match the motherboard xD)
or
2 x Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600MHz (2x4GB)

Scenario 2 - Move stock fan to pull position and get a Yate Loon 120mm x 20mm medium speed fan as push fan:

2 x Corsair Vengeance (Regular) 1600MHz (2x4GB)
or
1 x Corsair Vengeance (Regular) 1600MHz (2x8GB)

I know the tall memory coolers are for looks and extreme OC'ing (which i won't be doing).

Any ideas, suggestions?
a b } Memory
April 19, 2012 11:29:25 PM

Just go with low profile. Never seen any compelling evidence that tall memory heat spreaders are necessary except as you described.
Related resources
April 19, 2012 11:39:19 PM

@ Memnarchon

WTF? They exist in a 2x8gb kit.
Hmm but i can't get that kit in Denmark. Maybe i can find them in Germany or GB.
But THX!

@ J_E_D_70

That was what i was thinking.
April 20, 2012 10:36:05 AM

Xdreamer said:
@ Memnarchon

WTF? They exist in a 2x8gb kit.
Hmm but i can't get that kit in Denmark. Maybe i can find them in Germany or GB.
But THX!

Hmmm since there isn't an image nor comments at newegg, I suppose its a new item. So you might want to wait a bit till comes at Europe (maybe 1-2 weeks, thats the median waiting time for new items).
ps: I live at Europe too :p 
April 21, 2012 4:04:46 PM

Memnarchon said:
Hmmm since there isn't an image nor comments at newegg, I suppose its a new item. So you might want to wait a bit till comes at Europe (maybe 1-2 weeks, thats the median waiting time for new items).
ps: I live at Europe too :p 

Yeah, that's probably correct. Although i've been under the impression that the Z77 motherboards was released in Europe before the US.

Hmm what about the timing of the memory:

Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 2x4GB: 9-9-9-24
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 2x8GB: 10-10-10-27

Big deal?
I know absolutely nothing about timing. I just know that lower is better.
!