Need advice on graphics card upgrade

oharla1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
hi guys, would upgrading my graphics card make a significant difference to my PC's performance when playing games?
i currently have 'ATI RADEON 3000' and would be look to upgrade to a card like 'RADEON HD 57702'
Im running

windows 7 home premium
AMD Anthlon II X2 215 2.70GHz
2.00 GB RAM
64 bit

Im new to computers so any advice on anything :) :) would appreciated

rockyjohn

Distinguished
It could make a big difference, although the upper limit will be constrained by the CPU which is not very fast. If possible, you should consider also upgrading CPU and adding 2 more GB of memory.

But you need to provide more infomation/
What games? What resolution of monitor?
What budget?
Describe system in more detail - if a packaged system, provide make and model. Other wise identify mobo and PSU. On packaged systems the power supply often severaly limits upgrade possibilities.

To learn more about upgrading, I recommend visitng the site upgradevideocards.com which has a lot of helpful information, especially for new upgraders, and information about identifying system requirements, choices, and basic video upgrades.

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/index.html

oharla1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

thanks big help! :)

the screen res is 1600 x 900
the model number is SG3-110UK
i'd want to play many games but mainly RTS's like total war, i have £100 to £150 max to play around with

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You're not going to need anything more than a 5770, maybe a 5750.

I'd firstly upgrade to 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM, that is essential.

Then look at a graphics card upgrade.

Possibly look at OC'ing your processor too.

oharla1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
alright thanks so if i put that card in there would be a improvement? and how much would increasing the RAM be?

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
If you have $150 USD to play with there is no reason you couldn't upgrade the RAM and video card. Is this an OEM PC or something you put together yourself? Either way you should probably get your hands on the MB manual to see what upgrades are possible.

If you have an AM3 board you might be able to upgrade the CPU, RAM and video card for under $200 USD (130 GBP). Adding CPU cores can make a big difference in RTS games.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Most PC upgrades are fairly simple if you are careful.

You need to do some research about what upgrades are possible before you start laying out any cash.

Contact the company that made your PC about getting a manual. For example, Dell has a pdf for each system that details what CPUs are compatible, the RAM type, speed, and max size etc.

oharla1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i found this in another forum

Hi - I have a HP/Compaq SG3-110SC - (SC = Scandinavia - ? )

For memory you can use: Kingston kth9600B with 4/2/1 GB if a memory slot is free.

I have upgraded to 4GB memory to make use of the free slot - using the Kingston memory above - ( but in Windows 7 - 64bit - I should be able to upgrade to 16GB = 2 x 8GB)

Memory limits for Windows 7 - 64 bit :

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

so i guessing it is possible?

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Well, according to this you have plenty of choices regarding CPU and RAM upgrades.

Unfortunately, you are working with PCIEx1 slots if you wanted to upgrade your video card. You could pay the premium for the card or try your hand at some modding. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that to my board, so I can't say I recommend it, but it is an option.

Personally, I think you should just keep saving your cash for a better system some day.

rockyjohn

Distinguished