Issue with diagnosing problem with POST card

samphelps

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hello,

I'm having some issues with my home build and am trying to diagonose what is causing the issues. My pc starts the boot up process or successfully boots, but then will quickly cut out.

I have removed all non critical hardware to try to narrow the problem down, and so far I have concluded that the problem is not caused by the PSU, GPU card, HDDs or network cards. I have a POST card which I am trying to use to get further information about the issue but I'm drawing a blank on interpreting its limited output.

I have a ASUS P5QPL-VM EPU motherboard and am using the StarTech.com PCI Post Diagnostics Test Card.

Sometimes the RESET pass LED does not light up at all, but I'm unsure what this means, sometimes the LED display shows 88 which mentioned something about CMOS, which I have reset. "Returned from CMOS setup program and screen is cleared. About to do programming after setup" is the definition in the guide. I'm unsure how to proceed. Any help much appreciated.

samphelps

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Attempted to edit this in but couldn't:

edit: I should make it clear that the output of the POST card tends to differ over time, some times I get both the RESET pass LED on and the CLK pass LED on and nothing on the display, sometimes the RESET LED is off, and some times the 88 message is on the display.