Asus p8z68 deluxe/gen3

msbs48

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
i have another question if you have a second.. i disconnected by ssd which i had as the boot drive.. it became to impossible to control the installation directory of many MS products like sharepoint, sqlserver. etc. the SSD was becoming rapidly filled. So i disconnected the SSD.

so i made a raid (raid 1) set on the intel controller. i reinstall windows 7 from scratch, however i was getting an error at the completion stagle of windows where it tries to start up services. I got error like windows could not startup a service hit ok to reboot. whell that was a loop, everytime samething. during one of the window boot i went into device manager and disabled all the devices whos dirver was not found. Still the same problem

So I broke the raid set and installed windows 7 with no raid. It worked. does anyone know why ??? i did not try to move the sata drive to the marvel controller and do a raid set there would that have made a difference ?? i have been at it over 2 days.. and i just got tired trying to get the raid to work.

any ideas ??

thanks

ben

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I'd like to know what type of raid you have set up, also, the RAID is between 2 ssd's right? I don't think it would be wise to use an HDD and an SSD on raid, as you will be running at close to HDD speeds with only twice your SSD capacity.

msbs48

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

It is Raid 1; I have 2 seagate green 2TB disks. The ssd is not conected at all

I set the Sata config to raid.

i went into the raid config (control I) and created the raid set there.

as i said window 7 installs and in the completion set it trys to initiiate services and then comes up with the error message "cant startup..." hit continue to reboot...it reboots the same thing happens..in a loop

please let me know if you need additional infor

thanks

ben

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Just to be clear, you did the following:

Change from AHCI to RAID
Combined 2 seagate 2TB drives through RAID 1
Reformatted SSD
Then reinstalled windows 7 on to the SSD

Is all of that correct? If not please correct me.
I know for a fact that if you install windows 7 using AHCI and then switch it to RAID, you will not be able to run it with out modifying your registry. Same thing goes for installing it using RAID then switching to AHCI.