Sign in with
Your question

Asus 5970 + Resident Evil 5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2011 8:43:25 PM

Hello everyone. I have been digging into my problem regarding my 5970. I have 2 of these, one was already bad it crashed when it is cold in 2D applications, so it does in windows 7 as well. It had the cold boot issue. My 2nd card did not have this problem. It starts up as it should each morning and no crashes whatshoever in 2d that is. The other card is still in a rma process...

Now comes the thing with the card I have no problems with in 2D: I am testing it with a game now, Resident Evil 5. I run the benchmark in RE 5 and at random moments my PC completely freezes. Before the complete PC hangs the screen freezes first, the sound continues a little while longer then it also crashes. Only a hard reset let me go back to win 7 Ultimate x64. This was with the latest ATI Catalyst drivers 11.2. Game run with 8x AA, AF on, all on high and 1920x1200 resolution Fullscreen and vsync ON.

Next step I did is remove all my current ATI drivers with driver sweeper and install Catalyst 10.5. This one supposed to work well according to many because I googled it with no freezes in Fullscreen.
Well ok having changed nothing in the game RE5 and in CCC left everything on standard except Triple Buffering for OpenGL and some other setting at max. Catalyst A.I. on standard. RE5 still crashes at random points while doing the benchmark testing but now my PC still has HD activity and I can reach my PC over the network. With the newest drivers my PC would completely freeze and you would not even be able to reach my shares on that computer via the network. Ok, having said that I still can not alt-tab or go back to windows. It is still frozen somehow except I can reach my PC via the network.. very weird. Still, the only solution is a reset again to further continue in windows.

Ok, after these crappy discoveries I tried to play with the game settings a little. To my astounding surprise whenever I turn off vsync it freezes no more. I have tested it now for 2 hours straight in RE5 benchmark and no freeze since. I left all the other options the same. All at max and 1920x1200 and even AA at 8x etc. Only vsync I turned to off. How weird is that? My card works harder now with this and I got more FPS because of vsync being turned off. Only I get some tearing now which I don't want. Does anybody get what's going on here? What could this be? Is this card also faulty? Whenever I turn on vsync again it will surely freeze somewhere again. I wonder what happens if I would reinstall the newest catalyst drivers again and leave vsync off, perhaps it won't crash then either. But still it is not really a solution because I like vsync on.

My system specs are:
Asus Rampage II Extreme
Intel Core i7 960 @3,61Ghz
12GB Dominator GT at 1503Mhz
Asus EAH 5970
80GB Intel SSD
1x BluRay burner
1x DVD burner
3x WD Black 2TB
Card reader
PSU Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
Dell 2709W
March 1, 2011 11:01:57 AM

Not all processors are created equal when it comes to overclocking. Even extreme editions have their own limitations. Some are higher, some are lower. It's the luck of the draw.

You're OC'ing your processor (standard at 3.2GHz) and you've either manually set timings/clocks for your RAM or the speed of the RAM is at the 1503MHz speed as a result of the increase with your bclk. Try going back to stock settings for your processor and RAM to see if runs stable that way.

You're already working with a powerful enough processor that you won't be bottlenecking the video running it at stock clocks. It's hard to troubleshoot anything when you're pushing the components beyond the stock levels.
March 1, 2011 3:44:49 PM

Thanks for your reply but it's not my cpu/ram/mobo it works great with an older nvidia card with same settings. Nothing gets too hot either. Just normal temps.

Now I got a new thing that I tested today. I manually increased the gpu fun to 53% and Resident Evil 5 is running already for 4 hours straight in benchmarking program with VSYNC on! It's crazy actually because when I automatically let my GPU adjust the speed fan it will crash/freeze when the card gets too hot. Now at 53% fan speed it does not get over 40 degrees celcius at full load or almost full load with one 5970. I will soon be getting my 2nd 5970 again, hopefully a good one.

It is not my system it runs great at OCed settings and it should be as well because it's made for it. I see people running a 920 @4Ghz stable and mine is much lower.
Timings of my Ram are 8 8 8 24 2N and works great with 12GB.

5970 cards have a lot of problems for many people, drivers, coldbug, mix of games and drivers etc. It's to get crazy of...

Because I explained above I only changed to older drivers and my gpu behaved different than with newer drivers. It's all about this videocard, not my cpu/ram or mobo. That works great, luckily.
Related resources
March 1, 2011 5:19:52 PM

Tumalu said:
Thanks for your reply but it's not my cpu/ram/mobo it works great with an older nvidia card with same settings. Nothing gets too hot either. Just normal temps.

Now I got a new thing that I tested today. I manually increased the gpu fun to 53% and Resident Evil 5 is running already for 4 hours straight in benchmarking program with VSYNC on! It's crazy actually because when I automatically let my GPU adjust the speed fan it will crash/freeze when the card gets too hot. Now at 53% fan speed it does not get over 40 degrees celcius at full load or almost full load with one 5970. I will soon be getting my 2nd 5970 again, hopefully a good one.

It is not my system it runs great at OCed settings and it should be as well because it's made for it. I see people running a 920 @4Ghz stable and mine is much lower.
Timings of my Ram are 8 8 8 24 2N and works great with 12GB.

5970 cards have a lot of problems for many people, drivers, coldbug, mix of games and drivers etc. It's to get crazy of...

Because I explained above I only changed to older drivers and my gpu behaved different than with newer drivers. It's all about this videocard, not my cpu/ram or mobo. That works great, luckily.

You know I had issues when I ran 3 5850s in crossfire. Every driver release, with my crossfire setup, they would fix one thing and create an issue with another. Depending on the game and driver release, I could see flicker, tearing or a clear picture; always a crapshoot. I don't think it's exclusively a 5970 thing. I think it's a multiple GPU thing when it comes to AMD drivers. I never had issues with my single-gpu AMD setups.

I was just thinking if we could get you to the stock clocks, we would take any possible stability issue out of the equation. Could it be possible you got two bum cards? That card shouldn't be overheating on you?

The old card works. You may have gotten two from a bad run sent to the same distributor?
March 1, 2011 11:54:13 PM

ubercake said:
You know I had issues when I ran 3 5850s in crossfire. Every driver release, with my crossfire setup, they would fix one thing and create an issue with another. Depending on the game and driver release, I could see flicker, tearing or a clear picture; always a crapshoot. I don't think it's exclusively a 5970 thing. I think it's a multiple GPU thing when it comes to AMD drivers. I never had issues with my single-gpu AMD setups.

I was just thinking if we could get you to the stock clocks, we would take any possible stability issue out of the equation. Could it be possible you got two bum cards? That card shouldn't be overheating on you?

The old card works. You may have gotten two from a bad run sent to the same distributor?

I get your whole point my friend. Thanks for your replies. And yes I was thinking about the same scenerio like you do... funny though the card is rock solid when it doesn't get too hot, at least in RE5 that is. It ran over 6 hours straight today with no crashes so I can vote out ram/cpu/psu/mobo or this kind of thing, it is purely GPU related. So we know this now. Haven't tried many other games so far. It could be that RE5 is sensitive in combination with AMD drivers/Temperature? I don't know but it could be.

I really am not looking forward to rma this card as well. I still need to get a good working one back because I had quadfire 5970's. It seems they are not being sold anymore here and my distributor had a Demo card 5970 in one of their test machines working fine according to them so they will send me this one. As long as the card still looks good and if it works I am satisfied.

My current card that I test RE5 with so can not get too hot (around 60~70 degrees) and there are higher changes of crashing it.
!