Installed new graphics card need help?

v18

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
there's kind of a fuzziness/barely visible lines to my screen and a little bit of lag/choppyness when i wow. whats wrong?

geforce gtx 460 768mb gddr5. gc version

-HP windows vista service pack 2
-4G Ram
-64 bit operating system
-Processor: intel(R) pentium(R) dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHZ
500 w psu
atx cpu
pcie x16 slot
my Monitor is 1440x900 720p hd

just installed the psu and graphics card today. just installed drivers too.

would removing what looks like the old graphics card help? i don't know if it is a graphics card though because i thought i had a build in card in the motherboard.

ive checked everything and i really dont know what the problem could be. (i understand that alot of my specs bottleneck my card just seeing if that really is the problem)

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Uninstall the 460's drivers then take out the gtx460, uninstall your old card's drivers and then take the card out, if it's a integrated card then also disable it from you motherboard BIOS, can't tell you how exactly because every motherboard is different but is usually quite easy to find that option.

Put the 460 back in, download and run driver sweeper under safe mode to remove any leftovers related to display drivers from your HDD, and NOW you can install the latest drivers from nvidia's site.

Also list the brand and model of your PSU please.

A reference GeForce GTX 460 has two PCI Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

Did you connect PCI-E power connectors from the power supply unit to both PCI Express Supplementary Power Connectors on the graphics card?

At minimum you have selected a trusted name brand (e.g. Antec, Corsair, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, XFX) 450 Watt or higher power supply unit that has at least two or more 6-Pin (or 6+2-Pin) PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

v18

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
so its probably not getting enough power because of the crappy psu?

my comp

100_0209.jpg
[/img]

Your use of the Molex to PCI-E power connectors would indicate that your power supply unit wasn't designed to handle higher end graphics cards.

I would recommend that you replace it with a better one.

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Don't waste your money; if it's not sufficient to power the card it'll shut down during 3D applications. The GPU is not running at max speed in 2D windows and is not drawing excessive power. There is absolutely no problem using two adapters to power the card if the power supply is sufficient.

Lines/fuzziness sounds like a driver problem or a bent or missing ping; look at your VGA/DVI connectors at both ends. The chopiness in WOW suggests it's the drivers.

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
The chopiness is from your Q6600 bottlenecking your video card; I had the same problem when I first got my 460.

Those lines look like a refresh rate problem; make sure the proper drivers are installed for the video card as well as the monitor. Try changing the refresh rate to 59hz. Change the resolution and see if the lines go away.

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I think it could damage your display if you don't fix it.

It's not a PSU problem with noise/ripple with an HP power supply; if anything it's underpowered which it isn't since it doesn't shut down during 3D applications.

So why didn't you tell the OP to change the E2220 dual core CPU that is in the current system to a quad core Q6600 before making this uninformed statement?

Why didn't you tell the OP to change out the current atx psu that was bought from tiger direct for $30 back to the original one that was in the HP system before making this uninformed statement?

v18

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i turned up the refresh rate and on about medium settings the choppyness is gone and the lines are less visible. But if i got a new cpu motherboard and possibly psu all problems would be most likely gone right?(and performance ehanced obv.)..... any suggestions on a cpu and motherboard for what will (hopefully) one day be a gaming computer?

Do you have a budget that you want to work within?

If you can take a picture of the label that is stuck on the side of your current power supply unit and post it here it would be helpful.

I would say that your current CPU & motherboard is holding you back. Its locked down BIOS doesn't allow you to do any over clocking of the CPU. You might be able to just upgrade the CPU on your current motherboard. Since you haven't posted the original make and model number of your pre-built system, it's difficult to offer any advice. You would need to provide the make and model number of the motherboard and its current BIOS version.

If you choose to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory what technology do you prefer to use, AMD or Intel?

What size motherboard, ATX or mATX (micro ATX)? If you're going to be using the same case, that you've shown in the picture above, then it will have to be an mATX form factor motherboard.

What memory modules are you currently using? Is it at least DDR3-1066/1333? If not then you'll have to budget for new memory.

v18

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

HP. atx. model a6838f. bought in 2007. amd they seem cheaper.

ill put up pictures in a bit.