Smoke coming from new build, test booted ok

theverybest23

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
So I just got all of my components today, I put them all together for an out of case boot, and I got the post beep, all of the fans start going etc, which means everything posted right?

So I put everything into the case, and turn it on. Smoke started coming out from around the processor. I have an Asus Z68 motherboard and I'm running and a i5 2400 processor.

None of the power things are working, but the status light for the motherboard is on, which means it's receiving power. Does that mean it's just the motherboard, or could it be something else.

Keep in mind I double checked and triple checked out of the connections and none of the other components, other than the motherboard status light was working.

I'm a first time builder, just making sure what's going on.

theverybest23

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

It was on for like 10 secs then started smoking, so could it be a heat issue? It's a brand new build, it doesn't post once I tried to start in the case.

theverybest23

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

When I double checked everything I checked the fan pins, and they were in. When I took out the processor, there was thermal paste on both the top of the CPU and the heat sink, so I assume so.

devils_advocate

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Did you check if your board is sitting on the motherboard tray properly and not crating a short? Also check if there is any issue with cpu pins on the board? Take a closer look at the board, and see if you notice any change of colour? Did you try booting the system fully assembled out side the tower? Like a test run...

theverybest23

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

I'll check the board tomorrow for discoloration. I did check the CPU pins, they seemed fine. It seemed to fit on the tray just fine. I did a test boot before I installed everything in the case and it was working fine.

I'll do another out of vase build tomorrow to see if it will work, although I'm gonna need more thermal paste now haha. Thanks for the help so far everyone.