Computer turns off randomly

Goby

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Not during games or movies or anything specific like that.

Just a few times when I left it on and came back it was off. Then I turn it back on and works fine. I'm currently trying to catch it in the act of shutting down to see what's up.

Also I have an extra fan on the cpu and the case came with 6 fans. The one spins slowly and makes a weird noise on startup is a casefan. I think only some are connected to the mobo while the others are on a separate independent fan mobo.

I guess it may be my PSU. Although its 1000 watt.

Also everything in my comp was new and I put it together.

I've pretty much left it on with a few reboots for like 3 weeks. Played graphical intense games etc etc then this issue started a few days ago.

Is there any way to test the PSU issue besides getting a new one? If not I guess I'll send it back or something.

Also should I try to catch the comp in the act to see what's causing things or is that risky?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
try unplugging everything from it except the video card, cpu (with hs/fan), ram, and hard drive... see if it still does it. If it does reseat the ram. And if that doesnt fix it check the cpu thermal compound and the evenness of the pressure of the hs on the cpu. not sure what psu you got but it could be dying on you yeah.

power supply tester
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899161001&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Tools+-+Network+/+PC+Service+/+Acc.-_-APEVIA+CORP.-_-99161001

not sure if its the best one or not but its a tester... might wanna search for more brands etc to see if theres a better one out there.

G

Use a digital multi-meter and test your power draw with everything on and running. It's easy. Black is negative, Yellow is +12V and Red is +5V. Check via a empty molex (4 pin) connector coming off of your PSU. In general 5% variance on the +5V rail is acceptable and 10% variance on the +12V rail is acceptable (Be sure to put the multi-meter into DC mode). Also, this might sound dumb, but check your power profile in Windows. See that the PC isn't set to go to sleep (or off) after a certain time frame. BTW digi-multi-meters run about $10 at any Fry's or Radio Shack. And are always a great took to have around.