jamundo86

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hi

I'm having a bit of a nightmare building a new PC and getting errors when trying to enable the onboard integrated graphics on my Asus P8 Z68 V-LX motherboard

Fist I couldn't get the machine to boot at all using the integrated graphics so borrowed an old discrete card which let me boot. I installed windows, all drivers / updates, went to the bios, enabled iGPU and now trying to reinstall the intel graphics drivers but keep getting an error message saying 'computer does not meet the minimum requirements..'

I've tried different drivers, every GPU setting in the bios but cant get it to work. I cant run the Virtu software either - installs but says 'not supported'

Basically I can run the system with the discrete gfx card but not with the integrated motherboard graphics - am I missing something ridiculously easy?

Spec -
Asus P8 Z68 V-LX
i5 2550k
Seagate 2TB HDD
8gb Corsair XMS3 (2x4gb)
Windows 7 64 Home Premium

Thanks,
James

jamundo86

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hi, thanks for your reply

Under device manager, display adapters - only the discrete gfx card shows. No mention of onboard graphics there at all

Sound, video and games controllers only shows the Realtec HD Audio

Is there another place to enable it?

jamundo86

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I've only borrowed the discrete gfx card from another machine. I dont want to go out and buy a new gfx card when I've no need to

Is there somewhere other than the bios that you have to enable to integrated graphics? If i remove the discrete gfx card and try to boot (with the igpu enabled in bios) it fails with bleep codes

jamundo86

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Tried resetting the CMOS and hasnt made a difference. Windows still doesnt recognize the onboard graphics which I assume is why the drivers wont install

Any other ideas?

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I don't understand. Doesn't the 50 in i5-2550K mean that the CPU will not support integrated graphics ? So you would have to use a discrete card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327110-28-2500k-2550k

Other than the -2550K not having integrated graphics, does there seem to be any difference in the 2 cpus? Also, if the -2550K lacks the IGP, does that also get rid of quick sync technology or anything else that's on the -2500K with the IGP?

Doesn't the 50 in i5-2550K mean that the CPU will not support integrated graphics ?

+1,000 That's exactly right. There is no iGPU on the 2550K, so that's why it can't be enabled... I'm afraid it's a discreet card, or nothing for you, unless you can return the 2550K and get a 2500K (which DOES have the HD 3000 iGPU).

It doesn't HAVE integrated graphics on the motherboard itself. Trust me, I have the P8Z68-V LE (which is 1 step above, but comparable). To use the connectors on the mobo, you HAVE to use the iGPU from a compatible processor.

I'll admit that that's very misleading, but it's talking about integrated graphics through the processor. I don't actually know of any 6 series mobo that does have integrated graphics on the mobo itself. There may be one, but I've never seen it. It's not needed anyway, since most SB processors have an iGPU.

jamundo86

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Well it stumped me! Have been going round in circles trying every single setting in every possible combination trying to get it work!

Suppose I cant be the only one to have seen "Integrated Graphics Processor" in a mobo's spec and assumed that meant the mobo itself has integrated graphics... :(

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
How about this idea (viz., double check this, so that it's documented here):

The ASUS p8z68 boards are all 16 phase. 12 for the CPU and 4 for the integrated graphics. Without the integrated graphics on your 2550k that means that the power supply to your CPU gets all 16 phases. What I think this means is that the voltage should be especially stable going into your CPU, allowing for a higher stable-OC.

So, what's a phase ? I think it means that all of the juice going into CPU comes from a particular source and there is, of course, variability in the voltage, simply because it's a machine! But with 12 phase going to the CPU, the fluctuations get averaged out. With 16 there is greater averaging and smoother voltage.

My point? The OP bought the 2550k apparently by accident. Make lemonade: smoother voltage = safer OverClocks.

Can anyone verify / clarify / rectify the 16 phase BS written above. Just what is the 12 + 4 thing with these ASUS boards?

Can anyone verify / clarify / rectify the 16 phase BS written above. Just what is the 12 + 4 thing with these ASUS boards?

The P8Z68-V LX/LE only have a 4+2 Phase design. As for your question, I'm not entirely sure about what the # of phases does, other than help for higher overclockability because of more stable power input, but only the 4 (LX and LE)/12 (every other P8Z68-V) CPU Phases will be used if there is no iGPU.