Sign in with
Your question

Swap out a 490 motherboard for a T5400 Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
April 20, 2012 11:44:58 AM

Does anyone know if this will work: Given a Dell Precision 490 Workstation with a 490 motherboard, can it be swapped out for a T5400 motherboard.

Looking at the manuals (490 manual, T5400 manual) there are slight differences in components but if all I care is that the CPU, harddrive, memory graphics card, optical drive, and USB ports work and given a Dell 490 chassis, would a T5400 motherboard work for it?

Dell 490

Dell T5400

Notable difference are (490 vs T5400):
IDE drive connector vs USB (INT_USB)
Flexbay connector vs SATA connectors (SATA_2, SATA_3, and SATA_4)
none vs front panel audio connector (FP_AUDIO)
none vs hard drive fan connector (FAN_HDD)

I have two of each tower right now but I want the 490 to support Xeon 54xx quad-cores but it can't so I'm considering buying a T5400 motherboard instead of buying a whole T5400 Workstation.

It looks like the only problem maybe with the IDE drive connector (490). The 490 has an IDE optical drive while the T5400 has a SATA. That and the front panel audio connector. I've tested the memory, they're compatible.

EDIT: My apologies if this is in the wrong subforum. There were no other options for me to pick from.
May 1, 2012 1:00:57 AM

Update: Got the motherboard and it looks like you'd have to switch out the front panel USB Audio because the front panel connectors are different (empty pin position is different).

Also, the motherboard's keyboard/mouse and USB positions are different so one would have to use USB keyboard/mouse.

Will update again once I get the right USB Audio panel and cable.
m
l
May 11, 2012 1:27:38 AM

Success. Since Tom's Hardware tends to show up in Google Searches, I hope this thread will answer other people's questions on 490/T5400 compatibility in their searches.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2012 4:40:05 AM

I'm glad you did. I figured they were the same as the cases are almost identical. I'm trying to build a T5400 system - this info will help when it comes to buying a case. Glad you posted it
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:46:19 AM

Lechnology said:
Success. Since Tom's Hardware tends to show up in Google Searches, I hope this thread will answer other people's questions on 490/T5400 compatibility in their searches.

I'm in a boat similar to yours. I bought two e5450 Xeon processors not knowing (or checking whether) they wouldn't work in my 490. My "fix" now it seems is to get a T5400 motherboard (and a front i/o panel - with wires I imagine). I already have a SATA optical drive so that's not an issue. What did you do about the rear connectors (usb,etc)? The configuration seems to be a bit different.
m
l
August 27, 2012 1:41:57 AM

Yeah, that'll depend on what you want to use them for. It's definitely a problem if you're going to use all of the USB ports and your mouse and keyboards aren't USBs. I think the only way is to remove the back cover that's blocking the USB, mouse/keyboard ports, etc. to gain full access
m
l
January 27, 2013 3:19:56 PM

Lechnology said:
Update: Got the motherboard and it looks like you'd have to switch out the front panel USB Audio because the front panel connectors are different (empty pin position is different).

Also, the motherboard's keyboard/mouse and USB positions are different so one would have to use USB keyboard/mouse.

Will update again once I get the right USB Audio panel and cable.

Hello Lechnology,

This is my first time posting on this forum, you guys have a REALLY good site, i refer to i A LOT!!! keep up the GOOD work!!

Great post btw. i am in the exact same situation as you, and quite frankly i bought part based on your post!!

now on this from audio/usb board/connector, did u replace the front board or not? your right the pins on the cable don't line up....i can live with the back usb partialy blocked, but would like to hve the front ones functional.

so do we have to replace the board and would you have a part number for it? i am look inig on ebay and what i find is MM777, which is not the right number since it has on 2 usb, and i beleive T5400 has 2 + ie334 on the fron as well.

Thanks
m
l
February 3, 2013 2:42:19 AM

dixxy said:
Hello Lechnology,

This is my first time posting on this forum, you guys have a REALLY good site, i refer to i A LOT!!! keep up the GOOD work!!

Great post btw. i am in the exact same situation as you, and quite frankly i bought part based on your post!!

now on this from audio/usb board/connector, did u replace the front board or not? your right the pins on the cable don't line up....i can live with the back usb partialy blocked, but would like to hve the front ones functional.

so do we have to replace the board and would you have a part number for it? i am look inig on ebay and what i find is MM777, which is not the right number since it has on 2 usb, and i beleive T5400 has 2 + ie334 on the fron as well.

Thanks

Yes, I did replace the front I/O panel. There's no ie334 on the one I have. The frontpanel i/o for both T5400 and 490 have the same layout, two USB and two audio/mike input. It does sound like MM777 is the one you're looking for. If it says it's for T5400, then it should be it. I've lost track of the purchasing records so I can't guarantee it. Make sure you get the right I/O cable(s) too.
m
l
!