Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Loseing video output from videocard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2011 3:31:02 AM

Got a problem that started out every once and a while but now it happens about 5 min in to a game ( Started about 2 months ago). i mostly play bad company 2 ( but it happens in other games) and after about 5 min the monitor goes blank like the computer is turned off but the tower lights and fans still run. also the in game sound freezes and i have to force restart. when i turn the video setting form high to medium i can go about 30 min before a restart. i run quad sli evga gtx 295 and i turned the on board fans to 100% with no effect. i also tried only one card thinking it was the psu, no go. i used the other card and even tried using different pci slots with no luck. i have uninstall the video drivers and got the latest one, and even went back to 2 yr old drivers with no luck. reinstalled the win 7 update from vista with no luck.

any advice would be much appreciated

Win 7 home edition 64 bit
intel core i7 920
dual evga gtx 295
asus p6t motherboard
In Win Commander 1200 watt psu
coolermaster v8 cpu fan
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 10:46:18 PM

You did a pretty good job of troubleshooting. The only thing I could think of is either one of the following:

1. Your PSU is going bad and can't supply the power necessary, 2 cards or 1
2. Your motherboard is going bad.
3. Your RAM is going bad (Test your RAM to t-shoot)
4. BOTH your GPU's are going bad, a very highly unlikely scenario.

You can troubleshoot this further by testing a different GPU besides the one you have. This could also eliminate possibilities of 1, 2, and 4 if everything works just fine.

Best solution

March 1, 2011 11:49:52 PM

Are you overclocking your PC at all?

I would try running Prime95 overnight and MemTest86+ to check system stability. You could also try IntelBurnTest. That should at least tell you if you have CPU, motherboard or memory problems. Since you have tried various combinations of video cards, it would seem as though the vid card is not a problem. The power supply could be an issue as well. Unfortunately, to diagnose a PSU problem you would have to get a power supply from someone to check.
Related resources
March 2, 2011 10:41:04 PM

no overclocking but they are evga gtx 295 superclock editions

i ran intelburn test with max stress level, 32 threads and it ran 5 times with no problems ( average 31.5 GFlops good or slow)

Memtest86+ ran on high 6 passes with no errors

Prime95 on priority 10 for 8 hours and no errors

i don't have access to any newer hardware to test the vcards or psu.

starting to sound like its the psu, any suggestions on a good one. also did i just get a bad one or should i go up in watts.

and thanks for the input!!!!!!
March 4, 2011 12:30:31 PM

Yes, sounds like it might be the PSU.

I have had good luck with the Corsair AX series of power supplies. I have a Corsair AX850: fully modular, comes with a 7 year warranty, and Corsair has good technical support too. I also have a Corsair HX650, which I'm happy with. I'm guessing you might need something with more power though.

To determine how much power you need you can use a power supply calculator. They are usually pretty good and telling you how much power you need:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
March 4, 2011 1:37:51 PM

ya i used that cacluator the other day and 1200 should cover it. also i was looking at the corsair ax1200.

thanks for the help loosley borisof007 im ordering the psu today and i will let you know if it fixes the problem.

March 15, 2011 3:58:34 AM

well i got a new psu and still have the problem.

i ran intelburn test with max stress level, 32 threads and it ran 20 times
Memtest86+ ran on high 20 times
Prime95 on priority 10 for 24 hours
and i ran FurMark (Multi-GPU) 1920x1200 msaa 16x for an hour (105* is hot)

all with no problem

A driver issue?

i have uninstall the video drivers and got the latest one, and even went back to 2 yr old drivers with no luck. reinstalled the win 7 update from vista with no luck.

any advice
March 22, 2011 3:14:23 AM

Best answer selected by blankscreen.
!