Sign in with
Your question

USB connections

Last response: in Motherboards
April 20, 2012 12:17:47 PM

Hello, I've been confused about USB pin connections on my motherboard and I can't seem to find a clear answer. I apologize if this is a stupid or obvious question, but I don't want to run the risk of damage from lack of knowledge.

First off, I have an Asus Rampage III Formula mobo. It has three 10-pin USB connections, listed as USB910, USB78, and USB11 in the manual. I'm too novice to know what these specifications mean. Currently I have the front USB ports on my case connected to the USB78, and an Antec Khuler 920 connected to the USB910. I also have a AFT Pro-55U card reader, but the only spot left to connect it to the mobo is the USB11 connection, which has a different pin layout than the others.

My question is, is it safe to simply plug in the card reader even though some of the pins aren't making a connection? If I haven't been specific enough, please let me know and I will try to clarify. Thanks for any help.

More about : usb connections

April 23, 2012 6:11:54 PM

This is my understanding how they label these, correct me if I am wrong. There are normally two channels for each USB header. For instance USB78 is channels 7 and 8. USB11 is just channel 11 and if you notice 2 power pins are missing. Because the cable for your card reader breaks out into 2 I believe that one will not work if you plug it into this header. You could try plugging it in to see if it works but I would think you wouldn’t get full functionality. If you don’t care about the LED on the water cooler you can unplug it from the USB header and use that port for the card reader.
m
l
April 27, 2012 10:10:14 AM

vinjkit said:
This is my understanding how they label these, correct me if I am wrong. There are normally two channels for each USB header. For instance USB78 is channels 7 and 8. USB11 is just channel 11 and if you notice 2 power pins are missing. Because the cable for your card reader breaks out into 2 I believe that one will not work if you plug it into this header. You could try plugging it in to see if it works but I would think you wouldn’t get full functionality. If you don’t care about the LED on the water cooler you can unplug it from the USB header and use that port for the card reader.

I see, I was afraid to even try plugging in the reader because of those two missing pins, but I might give it a go if there's no risk of damage to either the mobo or the reader.
While I don't care much about the LED for the cooler, as far as I know the software that controls the fan speed won't work without the USB being plugged in, which scares me. I've heard there might be some third party software that can do the same without the USB, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Thanks for the reply, if anyone else has any suggestions or info it's much appreciated.
m
l
!