Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA or AMD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2011 4:55:16 AM

Hi,

I have an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE processor. I will be going for the Bulldozer when it releases.

I want to buy a graphics card. I play games at 1920x1080 monitor. So my question is:

I was thinking of a GTX 460 1GB, GTX 470 from nvidia's side and from AMD a HD 6870, HD 6950.

From most of the reviews that I have read, I only see people complaining about the AMD graphics drivers not being good at all. They only have problems with it but as far as Nvidia is concerned, no problems at all even if they enable SLI on it.

As I will stick on to the Bulldozer CPU when it comes out, please suggest me whether I should go with the nvidia cards or amd cards. But if I go with AMD cards, I am scared of their drivers.

Please suggest me as you people are experienced enough to tell me what I should go with. Nvidia or AMD.

More about : nvidia amd

March 1, 2011 5:05:08 AM

First of all, if you try to play game at 1920x1080, you might consider GTX580 or 6970 for upcoming game such Battlefield 3 and other. GTX460 and 6950/6870 won't serve you well with 1080P resolution. For example: Starcraft 2= your frame gonna be around 30 FPS with max setting which mean in 3 months, you have to upgrade again. Unless your play at 1080P resolution with medium setting.
I got GTX460, and 5850, i play most new game at 1680x1050. In game like Battlefield :Bad Company 2, my FPS drop to 25 if people use Mortar Strike in my area and SC2 about 40 FPS average with everything MAX out at 1680x1050.

Another solution use x2 GTX460. I don't think one will work 1920x1080 with everything max out. need more horse power
My PC spec:
Q6600 at 3.6 Ghz
8GB DDR2
Win7 ulti 64bit
GTX460 or 5850( one of the card is in my bro PC lol)
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:17:11 AM

dude I have no problems with that. I can go with a 560, 570 or a 6950, 6970 or sli or crossfire.

You did not answer my main concern itself.

Should I choose the nvidia cards or ATI cards. please read the full comments that I posted earlier.

here it is again "I have an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE processor. I will be going for the Bulldozer when it releases.

I want to buy a graphics card. I play games at 1920x1080 monitor. So my question is:

I was thinking of a GTX 460 1GB, GTX 470 from nvidia's side and from AMD a HD 6870, HD 6950.

From most of the reviews that I have read, I only see people complaining about the AMD graphics drivers not being good at all. They only have problems with it but as far as Nvidia is concerned, no problems at all even if they enable SLI on it.

As I will stick on to the Bulldozer CPU when it comes out, please suggest me whether I should go with the nvidia cards or amd cards. But if I go with AMD cards, I am scared of their drivers.

Please suggest me as you people are experienced enough to tell me what I should go with. Nvidia or AMD. "

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 5:26:06 AM

It's a matter of personal preference, really; but the general consensus right now is that AMD and Intel are less and less likely to allow Crossfiring and SLI (respectively) on each other's board as time progresses; so if you're planning to stick with AMD for processors and intend to multi-card, AMD is your better choice.

As for the driver issues you've heard about, it's true that AMD had some major issues a while ago, but things work pretty good now.

So... really, it's your preference. If you're comfortable tinkering with the video card, you can unlock the 6950 to a 6970 and get an extra $100 of performance; on the same note, the GTX 460 overclocks very well.
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:00:04 AM

ok then its amd.

do you recommend a single hd 6870 or go for crossfire configuration.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
March 1, 2011 1:17:53 PM

Do not anguish over which card. You will mostly get what you pay for. I have used both, and have had no driver issues with either.
I seem to prefer Nvidia, but would be hard pressed to articulate just why.

As to single vs. multiple cards in cf/sli, I recommend a great single card if you will be gaming at 1920 x 1200 or less.
The support costs will be less, you will preserve your options for a future upgrade, and some games do not play well with dual gpu's.

If you will be using a 2560 x 1600 monitor or triple monitor gaming, then you are in the multi card game.

m
l
March 2, 2011 1:45:04 AM

I have the ASUS M4N75TD motherboard. But I do not see crossfire happening on the board. Its only SLI amd AM3.

Can I crossfire on this board. I don't think so.

Please tell me should I still go with AMD or nvidia considering that I have an SLI motherboard.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please suggest what needs to be done.
m
l
!