Z68 vs. Z77 Intel Chipset

Coolbreeze74

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hey All, I'm in the market for a new ASUS motherboard to compliment my Intel i5 2500K CPU. I'm trying to decided if it is worth the extra $50 to go with a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. I understand both models support Sandy Bridge and should support Ivy Bridge (distant future) as well. Any and all advice is welcomed!

Solution
My view is that unless you have a 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor there really isn’t a lot of extra value that you can get from the Z77 chipset based board. So unless you are planning to move up to the 3rd gen processors stay it is ok to stay with the Z68.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Well the new Pro board has alot more feautes, Just depends if they are worth the extra 50$. In my opinion, from what i have recently heard, the New Mobo's will let your flash the BIOS imediately without a CPU, GPU, or RAM. SO if your going ivy.... its a +1

My view is that unless you have a 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor there really isn’t a lot of extra value that you can get from the Z77 chipset based board. So unless you are planning to move up to the 3rd gen processors stay it is ok to stay with the Z68.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

Coolbreeze74

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

From what I understand after to speaking to ASUS, there has been some early on bugs with the z77 chipset. I also found out that and I quote "The ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 will support 3rd Generation Intel CPU (Ivy Bridge)" If that is the deal, then go with Z68 chipset...seems all the bugs have been worked out and is a solid chipset.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

If the motherboard maker provides the necessary bios update for Z68, both chipsets have the same CPU support list.