Looking to Upgrade for Battlefield 3, need advice.

joedogg9999

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So heres my situation, the pc i have now is a generic p.o.s. so im looking to do a complete overhaul to be able to run bf3 on max settings. So im gonna go with an i7 quad core, 8gigs of ram and a top of the line graphics card. I know a 580gtx is the best currently, but to save a few bucks i was thinking of going with a cheaper card for now to hold me over, and then buy whatevers out in november. Is this a good strategy? If so, whats a good placeholder card for around $150 to get me good performance for the next 8 months or so?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Get an i5-2500 CPU instead. And you won't need 8 gigabytes of RAM, only 4. And if you're getting such a high-end processor, there's no way a $150 card will serve you well -- consider a Radeon 6870 or 6950, or a GTX 460, at the minimum.

a good stratecgy would to be wait for the game to come out and look at benchmarks. If you really cant wait that long, an i5 2500 as said above, but i disagree that 4gig ram is enough, get the 8gb. As for the vid card, get an SLI or Xfire motherboard and buy one gfx card now that you can afford like a 6850/gtx460, and get another later and xfire/sli it rather than getting a whole new card.

^^ 1156 is basically a dead socket right now; don't even bother with it.

1155 is currently under recall due to a minor issue with the SATA II ports, and new boards should be out in a week or two.

Right now, the i5-2500k is the second most powerful CPU out there, trailed only by the i7-2600k.