Sign in with
Your question

Problem with my homebuilt system

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2011 11:33:47 PM

I was on my computer today when we lost electricity, it just went out and didn't spike or anything like that. After a few minutes the electiricty comes back on and I try to start my system, it didn't do anything. I fooled around with it a bit and blew some dust out of it, then tried to resatrt it and it still start. After reseating the video card I was able to get it to boot to the main screen where it shows you the Bios and MB information but just hangs there?

Since then I have taken everything out and reseated it, removed the ram and reversed the order( 4 of the same ram sticks), taken out the HDD's and replaced the connecting cables, plus I blew out a lot more dust and dustballs.

End Result: It still only boots to the main screen where it shows the bios, cpu and MB information? Any idea what could be wrong? BTW: This exact same thing happened a few months ago, after I shut the thing off for one night(I normally leave it running), I did all the same things back then and didn't fix it. I left it off over night, woke up the next morning and it booted up? Damdest thing I ever saw :) .

My System is:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3

1 MSI R5770-PM2D1G-OC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 1 Video Card

Item #: N82E16814127484

2 Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb HD\\\'s

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Antec BP 550 Plus PSU

Win 7 Ultimate

Any help would be appreciated.
May 7, 2011 1:51:19 AM

My system is at least a couple of years old now and was working fine before the power went out, and as I said the power just went out, didn't pulse or spike and it was out for several minutes, besides it was plugged in to a zip strip that would have tripped and needed to be reset if there was any problems with the power.

When the power came back on I turned the PC on and it didn't do anything, it was only after I cleaned out the dust and checked each card, the ram etc to insure that everything was seated correctly that the thing booted up to the main startup winbdow where it shows the bios and cpu information, but thats it, it just hangs there and does nothing else?

Anything anyone can think of would be great?
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2011 10:21:04 PM

Wow I would have thought that at lease someone in here would have had soem advice to give me? GThat's why when I get stuck I comed to these forums?

Still in the same mess and I cannot figure out wtf to do with this POS computer I have, throwing it out my front door has come to mind several times! So if there is someone out there who cann help i certainly would appreciate it!
m
l
!