SLI or single GPU?

kiljaedon01

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Trying to configure my next PC. It's been a while and I'm having trouble deciding on a single GTX 580 with a core i5 2500K or two GTX 460s in SLI with a Core i7 2600K. Can the i5 handle dual GPUs? I heard it was better to go with the i7 in that case...
Not much of a price difference, but the two 460s draw a bit more power and are on-par or score higher than the 580 in most benchmarks. I'm wondering about longevity of the system as well - that is, which setup will last longest for the money.
If the i5 can handle dual GPUs I will probably go with two 6870's in crossfire as they beat the 580 out except for power consumption. Thanks for your input in advance!

Solution
The I5 will be fine.

It's always better to go with a single card solution given the choice. As Acer explained above, with a single card solution you have zero risk of SLI related problems, you only have one thing drawing power and making heat as well as making noise with the fan. It also gives you the option to add another into SLI in the future if you so wish. Lastly, it's less stuff cramping your case etc, which is never a bad thing.

You can go for the I7 if you want, but the only thing the I7 has over the I5 is hyper threading, which you really won't need if you're playing games mainly.

acer0169

Distinguished
Although being a SLI user myself (last 2 rigs) I've got to suggest getting a single 580. It might lack performance a tiny bit, but it takes less power, makes less heat, no issues with SLI compatibility in games (and there are A LOT now a days) and also gives you the option to get a second 580 in a couple years time.

I'd go with the i5 and 580, or of course if you can be pushed to spend extra, get the i7 and 580.

:]

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The I5 will be fine.

It's always better to go with a single card solution given the choice. As Acer explained above, with a single card solution you have zero risk of SLI related problems, you only have one thing drawing power and making heat as well as making noise with the fan. It also gives you the option to add another into SLI in the future if you so wish. Lastly, it's less stuff cramping your case etc, which is never a bad thing.

You can go for the I7 if you want, but the only thing the I7 has over the I5 is hyper threading, which you really won't need if you're playing games mainly.

Solution
I'd suggest getting the 580 and sizing the case, PSU and MoBo for adding a 2nd at a later date. The 580 can handle anything thrown at it and is the only single GPU to get > 30 fps in metro 2033 (33 fps). However, come Xmas 2011, you can expect that the latest and greatest game or two will humble even a single 580 and adding a 2nd will extend the life of your system about 12-18 months. The 580 scales nicely, for example that 33 fps in metro 2033 w/ a single card jumps to 65 fps in SLI (197%).

However twin 580's will require > 850 watt PSU and that will push price up a bit. I'd also want to put it in a full tower well cooled case. Options would include:

Antec DF-85 w/ CP-1000 PSU
HAF-X w/ HX1000

kiljaedon01

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for the help. I've opted for the 580 after the great input and scaled 'down' to the i5 2500K. Went with 8GB RAM and corsair 60GB boot drive. After reading your advice Im also going to upgrade the MB to a SLI-capable one. Cheers!