Bottom Mounted PSU and Graphics Card Airflow Problem?

mkchampion14

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hi everyone,
I have an Antec 600 case with an OCZ Fatal1ty 550w power supply mounted at the bottom "upside down" with the fan facing the top of the case. My graphics card is right above it (Sapphire 5770). With the power supply sucking in air from there, would there be a problem with the air coming to my graphics card? And also, if there is, will the PSU overheat badly if I flip it?

System:
Asus p6t vanilla x58 motherboard
i7-930 @3.8GHz 1.206vcore
Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Sapphire Vapor-x 5770 @950/1340MHz no overvolting
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ single fan
3 120mm LEd fans (antec tricool)
1 200mm Antec fan (top exhaust)

Theside panel has a grate thingy that could let in air (I think)

Try and maintain a high positive air pressure inside the case. That will compensate for your existing setup deficiency.

Flipping the PSU is a great idea if there are air inlet vents directly below the PSU intake fan. Even a 1/2" clear space will do the job.

Try different combinations and see which setup gives you the lowest temps; both CPU as well as GPU.

If all else fails, consider top mounting. I am not sure whether the Antec 600 has that option.

mkchampion14

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

It does not have that option...
My setup is as follows:
Antec Stock fan (came with the case) on high in the front: 70 cfm like the tricools on high I believe
Tricool in the back on low: 21 cfm
200m Antec stock fan (came with the case, I think it's called 'Antec Big Boy'): low settings, idk about cfm

It seems to be positive.
I don't think there are any holes on the bottom of the case...

Uther39

Distinguished
Alternatively i would seriously consider either getting another case like a coolermaster 912, or reachind for the dremel and cutting a 140mm hole in the case directly under your psu, enabling you to flip your psu so that it can suck the air in straight from the outside.