Sputnikz

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hey everyone!
I've been racking my brain for the past few hours trying to figure out why, all of the sudden, my HDD isn't showing up in the BIOS of my laptop (ASUS N61JQ).

I first noticed this because when I booted my computer up this morning it just went straight to trying to boot from the disk drive. Not being able to access the menu where you can choose to safe boot or any of that, I went to my BIOS and noticed that in the boot order there was no hard drive, only my disk drive.

Next I decided to boot into an Ubuntu Live CD and check things out from GParted, and not to my surprise it didn't find any disks.

My first hunch is that my HDD is fried; normally I would just rip my laptop open and slap a new one in just to see, however that would void my warranty (and I'd love to get a new HDD for free if this one is in fact dead).

However, I figured I'd ask around the internet to see if anyone had any suggestions of things to try before I bother contacting ASUS and going through their whole support system, which I am definitely not a fan of.

Thanks, I'm looking forwards (hopefully) to some replies!