Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Devices powered on after switch don't join network

Last response: in Networking
August 12, 2010 6:56:26 PM

one of my users this morning complained that her computer wouldn't go online and outlook wouldn't send messages. after tooling around in windows some, i reset the netgear FS105 switch, at which point it connected.

not satisfied that this was a solution, i rebooted her pc, at which point the problem arose again. tried the same with her cisco phone and a networked printer. if the networked device powers on AFTER ther switch is already on, it will not join the network.

i have tried the following:

changed her switch from the netgear to a D-Link DGS-1005D.

rejacked the wall port that the switch plugs in to.

checked the port on the rack switch for that wall port physically and in the cisco UI.

any help would be greatly appreciated, my backround is computer repair, our network admin is on vacation, so i'm getting a crash course in advanced networking. my brain hurts. please help. :) 

Best solution

August 13, 2010 6:31:28 PM

its a 30 dollar unmanaged 5 port switch. There is nothing you can do on the switch end because it is unmanaged, and it is very unlikely that all the end devices are improperly configured.

Suggestion: Replace switch.
August 13, 2010 7:43:15 PM

i'll give it a shot, it just doesn't make sense to me when we have several of these same switches in different rooms doing the same job, without the issues i'm having in this room.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 7:52:20 PM

Best answer selected by nsquid.
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:52:57 PM

thehelo said:
its a 30 dollar unmanaged 5 port switch. There is nothing you can do on the switch end because it is unmanaged, and it is very unlikely that all the end devices are improperly configured.

Suggestion: Replace switch.

this didn't work, but i appreciate the effort.
m
l
!