Crysis 2 demo.Graphics are not crysis quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Guys this is my personal take on crysis 2 demo.Downloaded the demo, fired it up selected hardcore graphics setting and then i was shocked to see the quality of graphics in this demo.First the frame rate.Game runs super smooth even at 50 it feels 100flps.Kudos to cry engine 3.Graphics are good but no where close to crysis 1 or even bad company 2.I am not sure if it is running in dx9,10 or 11.Textures are kinda blurry.Bloom is over the top.No realistic physics.For example Trees and plant doesn't interact when i move through them.No graphics option to tweak which means it is a console port.If the final game looks same as this then i am not gonna buy it.Gameplay is ok not great.

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Can anyone confirm which dx version demo is using?

Edit-Guys it seems it is using dx9.I saw some files named CryRenderD3D9,D3DX9_42 in program files folder.So i think retail version which will support dx 11 and will look much better.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

I doubt it.DX 11 and dx9 aren't that different.Metro 2033 dx 11 high with tesselation does not look drastically different than dx 9 high.If the graphics are horrible in dx 9 I doubt dx 11 will improve things.I am pissed at what cevat yerli said about their intention to surpass crysis 1 graphically.My gtx 275 is running the game maxed and the game is looking bad.The only thing that is good is that 32 fps in crysis 2 is smoother than 32 fps in crysis

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

the original crysis and warhead had various options which you could enable and disable like post processing etc.the settings in crysis 2 are like metro.you can only run high or very high.BTW what is the difference between hardcore and advanced?I can't see any difference.

shaftz0r

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
you people drive me insane. IT'S A DEMO. almost everything is turned off/not avail. blurry textures? my textures are crisp and amazing looking. i've owned every crysis game, and also have bc2. the difference between dx9 and 11 is staggering, not to mention that there's no aa or af allowed in the demo. did you also forget how completely different the maps are? you need to go back and play crysis 1. this game looks amazing on a decent pc. also the motion blur will be allowed to turn off. whiney kids who don't understand that the company is awesome for releasing a 2 map mp demo for us to try before dropping $60 should stop gaming on pc, and just buy a console.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

but that doesn;t mean dx9 should look horrible.crysis in dx 9 looked better than crysis 2 in dx9

shaftz0r

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
no offense but you are been a little ignorant here im no kid and dont like your attitude i have had the prealpha version which is not a demo and has full features apart from dx 10 and 11 the game does look less realistic and more like an animated movie with extra bloom as for the comment about having low end pcs and go to console you obviously have no time to listen to other peoples comments so why are you a member of toms hardware?.
get your facts correct and show proof if its not too hard. also everyones monitors look different and people play at different resolutions so its gonna be a different take on each system so dont go shouting your mouth about people when they have experienced something you have not.

you basically made my point for me, but i'm sure you don't see it. The game isn't supposed to look realistic. the first ones didn't at all, not to mention that again, you're trying to compare a demo, and an unfinished pirated version, to a AAA release. do you not see how dumb that sounds? the single player will look completely different than the mp will with much larger environments and destructible structures. They did a pretty good job of taking whats good about crysis, and making it playable to the masses who generally don't have decent hardware. that was the downfall of all of this games predecessors. nobody could run them. my point remains that if you honestly believe that this game looks bad, than you should stick to console gaming where your terrible aim, and sitting in corners will be rewarded, instead of getting decimated over and over on pc.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
WOW that was an interesting read. Well here's is my take on the Demo. First off I dont see any difference between the graphics settings so I really don't know which is highest, lowest, or medium. I have tried them all and seen little to no differences, plus they all run silky smooth so it would have been nice to have something in the readme saying which is which. Second, it doesn't have the same Crysis look and feel, but that could be because you aren't running around in a jungle which may also be the reason why it runs so well. Third the gameplay is very, very similar to Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor, almost to the point that it felt like I was playing a Crysis mod for Bad Company 2 or Medal of Honor. those aren't exactly bad things as I really enjoy those games, but it would have been nice to have seen something a little more fresh and new. All of this of course has little effect on singleplay as that will be an entirely different experience. Over all I was fairly impressed, it was a good demo and gave you some incite to what kind of system you will need to run it. As for all th people complaining about it, you need to thank your lucky stars that they put one out at all. Most game companies have gotten outta that practice and its a shame too because if more companies put out demos, I think more people would actually buy the game rather than pirate it.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Don't most companies tone down the graphics for the multiplayer version as to make sure it runs as good as possible.
Like with halo reach the multiplayer doesn't look as good as single player.
This just might be the same.

I say wait for the reviews.

no offense but you are been a little ignorant here im no kid and dont like your attitude i have had the prealpha version which is not a demo and has full features apart from dx 10 and 11 the game does look less realistic and more like an animated movie with extra bloom as for the comment about having low end pcs and go to console you obviously have no time to listen to other peoples comments so why are you a member of toms hardware?.
get your facts correct and show proof if its not too hard. also everyones monitors look different and people play at different resolutions so its gonna be a different take on each system so dont go shouting your mouth about people when they have experienced something you have not.

*facepalm*

The other guy is right. First off you're trying to say because you pirated a Pre Alpha version of the game you know how good it'll look. Aside from being illegal, if you think pre alpha graphics are going to be the as retail then you're deluding yourself.

Second, demo's usually are pretty close to "pre alpha". Have you tried the Dragon Age 2 demo? It doesn't support DX11 or any of it's features (a couple are there but the company released an official release saying not to use them as they're broken). That's just one example but Crysis 2 is most likely in the same category.

Aside from all that, while it would be disapointing if the game doesn't look at least as sharp as Crysis or Warhead, it's really not a big deal. If it's a good game with at least "nice" graphics, then great. But more than likely this demo isn't "retail quality".

Regardless, I'll save further opinion on how the demo looks until I can sink a couple hours into it. And no, I did not pirate the pre alpha so I can't comment on the graphics of that, and frankly, I don't care because it's pre alpha.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
^ yep that, most demos are designed to be small so they omit alot of the graphics in and coding to give you glimpse of what the game will look like and how gameplay will handle/ the ui

to the op

the pre alpha that got pirated cryteck themselves said is NOT the fully polished game and i'm sure many peopel will say thats just because they want people to buy the game... well f yea they want you to buy the game , stealign it makes you a low life piece of crap and is no different than stealing from a insured bank its still stealing even if the bank gets the money back from the federal govt ... but i believe them from what i've heard when they say its not the polished final build of the game so you'll have to wait for release date to find out

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I've been playing the demo for an hour or so, it looks pretty good to me. It's definately not as demanding though, It's running in the mid 40s and high 50s at 1650x1050 on a pair of GTX 465s, but SLI IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. When the game starts up its working but when I actually enter a server and play the game the 2nd card clocks down to it's idle clocks and just sits there at 9%, so the game can probably be maxed out and be playable at my resolution on a single 460 or above. The graphics look more cinimatic like COD BO than the 1st one did. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing at this point. The 2 levels in the demo are very small and have no vehicles, I hope thats not an indication of what the maps in the real game are going to be like.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
agreed to the graphics difference but i did download the pre-alpha to see what it may be like and was very buggy and have deleted it so i am not a low life peice of crap thankyou goofysmiley mr ohh so perfect.

You still pirated it. It doesn't matter that you deleted it, you pirated it. You could have waited for the demo to 'see what it may be like'.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
ohh wow and people like me go to war and fight for spakkers who fight over one pirated game. ffs grow up its a mens to test it out not keep it.

Struggling to decipher what you're saying here, but you are making the same old argument of "testing it out". Again: That is what the demo is for. What you downloaded was the full game, its development status notwithstanding, and your 'testing' claim doesn't hold up; you are a thief. Period. It may not have hurt anyone, but it remains true.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i'm not against trying before you buy as long as you do actually buy :D

i haven't played the demo yet but am planning on buying the game when it comes out i hope it hurts my 2xgts 450's and i can only play medium settings (excuse to upgrade to dual 560's)

Status
Not open for further replies.