pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
So I am having problems with my ram when I start my pc the monitor gets no signal and I get three beeps if I remove one stick it boots. I have 2x2gb Kingston HyperX ddr3 1600 12800 and a Asrock Ex Z68 Extreme 3 gen 3 with a i3 2120. Questions are I know the i3 only supports DDR3-1066/1333 would the faster ram for some reason cause one stick not to work because I was under the impression the mother board would automatically adjust accordingly? I know the ram is not bad because when I switch from one stick to the other they both work the problem is that it will not work with both sticks. I have tried all of the configurations with the placement of the ram and nothing. So thanks for the help guys

Go through your bios settings and find the ram section with just the one stick of ram installed. I use the "del" key (press during posting to enter the bios). Change the ram settting from auto to manual and use the highest ram setting for speed. Set the voltage manually also; it should be listed in the specs; use newegg is it's not on the label. 1.5v is recommended for all z68 boards; try that first even if your ram is rated at 1.65v; it should still run in manual. After changing the settings, save and exit, then shutdown. Now install the other stick and try booting again. If it still won't post, check each stick one at a time with memtest; if one has lots of errors, request an rma from your vender or the ram manufacturer. Many have lifetime warranties.

No. Some boards don't detect the right ram settings quick enough when posting. Lots of folks have your same issues. Run it for awhile in manual mode; you have plenty of time left on your warranty.

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

I tried that to change the setting but it did not work. You know the two slots on the right work and the two on the left do not. The directions for the board said to insert ram into 1a and 1b or the first and the third slot when using 2. I think the board is broken or something this stinks I just built this computer. You know what really stinks is I built it only for gaming and its really not that good. I have a asus 6870 and its not really much better then my notebook here are the specs of both and I am pretty sure I just wasted a lot of money on a gaming rig that is no good.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/343125-13-questions-computers#t2574244

Notebook lenovo g770

Intel Core i5 650 - 3,2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ( not better than the sandy bridge i3)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Lenovo Enhanced Experience with RapidBoot technology
17.3" HD Glare with integrated camera (1600x900), 16:9 widescreen
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6650M 1GB
8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Hard Drive: 750GB 5400
Integrated Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
USB 2.0 connectors & 5-in-1 card reader
Integrated 2.0MP camera
Stereo speakers
HD graphics support and HDMI output
VeriFace face recognition
OneKey Rescue System

Home built pc
motherboard-
cpu- i3 2120
hhd- 320 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor
gpu- SUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Graphics card - 1 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
psu-corsair gs700
ssd- 62g forget the make
ram kingston hyperX 4gb

Ouch. Did you follow nna2's advice and flash the BIOS?

If so and if both sticks work single but not together in the right slots your mobo could indeed have issues. Would be worth an RMA.

And once you get it working it should be noticeably faster than the laptop.