Building First System. Need Some Help!!

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hey, So this is my first time building a computer and I will be following the format given.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP (Within 2 Weeks)

Budget Range: 1000-1500 (Trying to stay as close to 1000 as possible)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing & Recording, Photoshop, Surfing, and the General

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (may upgrade in the future)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Definitely Newegg.ca (Canada)

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, MoBo with USB 3.0 is a must,

Overclocking: Maybe, still new to the whole thing

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, again still new to the whole thing

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments:I would like some basic knowledge and builds I could go for. I had a couple things I had in mind, I will mention them below. I also would like to know what exactly is essential to have and what I can wait to get/pass. Again, this is my first time so any general help would be greatly appreciated. I am doing my own research and reading through alot of helpful posts. Hope you guys can help

(Things I had in mind)
-Gigabyte/Asus MoBo (USB 3.0) (Of course depends on what CPU i decide to go with)
-Intel i7 950 3.06 Ghz Bloomfield -
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6819115211
-Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6819115070

Cheers, and Thanks!!

striker410

Distinguished
Well, I can tell you Sandy Bridge is the way to go. They are faster, smaller, cheaper, and cooler. It's the best option right now.
Also, if you go sandy bridge (which I would encourage highly) get the i5-2500k, as the 2600k and 2500k are identical, except the former has hyperthreading.

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
What are some really good mobo to go with a sandy bridge? I know its fairly newer and there are less options, but I do need a mobo with 3.0. Thanks. and one more thing, so the i7 2600k has hyperthreading while the i5-2500k doesnt?

striker410

Distinguished
Yes, that is the only difference. Hyper Threading is only going to be used in VERY processor intensive tasks, such as high level 3D rendering. It sounds like you aren't doing that, So I suggest the 2500k.
Why_me has a really good $1100 build, so hopefully he will see this thread.
Anyways, onto the parts.
I'm not going to link you to any, as I don't have that option available at the moment. But I can tell you what to look for.
The 2500k is a terrific overclocker, so you want a P67 board to allow OCing. Good ones are the p8p67pro, and the ASRock extreme4.
For the GPU, I suggest twin 560's or twin 6950's if you can afford it.
I would also get a good 8GB ram kit, as to give a bit of futureproofing headroom.
And for cases, the HAF 922 and Antec 900 are personal favorites of mine.

Hope this helps you out!

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Well, I did list Gaming as my top priority, but Video Editing/Rendering is going to also be a major focus.
I looked into HT a bit more, and I hear it helps out a lot with things in that nature.
I do realize its about $90 more, but I personally think it will help me out.
I will look into it further though :)

Anyway, from what I know, the following parts are essential (correct me if I'm wrong)

CPU
MoBo
GPU
Ram
Case
Fans - 2 (one for cpu, and one for system)
PSU
HDD
And Optical Disk Drive (for installing OS)

Once again correct me if I'm wrong. I am still learning.

Thanks again!!