AMD Radeon HD6850 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

studo

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I'm aware that the HD6850 > GTX 460, but I just want to compare and ask for opinions on specific cards.
This is going towards my new build soon but I'm having a tough time deciding which one I should get.

I'll be purchasing it within the next two months.
I don't plan on running CrossFire or SLI yet, but maybe considering it in the future.
OC is also a maybe.
I'll mostly be gaming (COD, AVA, SC2 and other fps/rpg games as well), using photoshop and moderate video editing.

-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Overclocked
-Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB Overclocked

These are the two I'd like to compare. If anyone has reason why I should get a different brand/model of either of them please let me know and why :).

Thanks all.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Gigabyte is a decent brand, is there a specific reason why you're stuck to them as a brand though? Such makers as MSI, Sapphire, XFX, EVGA and Palit make these cards and price competitively.

Anyway, according to the hierarchy chart, the 460 and 6850 are on equal footing with each other, so it would really come down to what you can get for the best price i guess. I personally would go for the 6850 as it's in the newest generation family of ATI cards while the 460 has now been succeeded by the 560 which will (i'm guessing) be out of your budget.

So for me it's the 6850, but from what you said you're going to do with it, I can't imagine either one will be a bad purchase as they both work very well. I would suggest you take a look around the online retailers you purchase from and see what other vendors are offering their cards at as you may get a better price for essentially the same thing.

studo

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
There isn't a specific reason I've chosen Gigabyte. I've just been looking at a number of reviews on other brands and it seems like the GB would be a good option.

I've heard that XFX has been sliding with their version of the 6850 so I ruled that out.
MSI was said to be not as good as the GB so I, once again, ruled that out.
However, Sapphire and EVGA are still in the good books for me so I would change to either one of those if they're better than the GB ones. I haven't heard many things from Palit so I didn't really consider them.

But anyway, thanks for your opinion! I'll probably end up getting the 6850. I've been tipping towards it from the beginning but I just wasn't sure. :D