Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer wont turn on at my house

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2011 5:22:49 AM

To make the story short, I built a computer and when I turned on PSU, only green light on mobo (standby) turned on.....nothing else. Here is a list of parts I assembled.

i7 2600k
Asus P8P67 mobo revised
Kingston16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570 GPU
Corsair HX850 PSU, and etc....

The rest is not relevant to my question....so I will skip. Anyway, just with basic setup with a processor, 1 memory card and PSU connected to 24pin and 4pin hooked up on the mobo, I turned the PSU switch on... NOTHING.

I looked up all the threads that dealt with "my computer wont turn on after new build" issue. I tried everything including switching PSU, mobo,... still NOTHING. I even checked by switching to a new power cord to the back of PSU. still NOTHING. :pfff: 

After 2 days of frustration, I took my computer to a local computer shop. When they turned it on, IT FREAKING WORKED !!! Beautifully running !!! So I took it back to my house, and it DID NOT WORK !!! I tried every outlet in my house, and it DIDN'T WORK. The only difference in the hookup at the store and my house was the usage of different power cable, so I bought a brand new one on the way home and tested with it.

So my conclusion, to my disappointment, is my house electrical output problem. Am I right about it? Everything else in the house is fine, though. I heard something about having to upgrade Breaker Panel's electricity output allowance to all of the house's power needs to solve this problem. Does anyone know about this situation? My local computer guy had absolutely no idea.

Please give me your expertise !!!
May 7, 2011 7:10:23 AM

Had the same problem , turn out , the power i have at home , is less than the one i get at the tech support , so i brought a regulator , and Voila ;P worked like a charm
m
l
May 7, 2011 4:43:04 PM

Xtrem, interesting that it worked for you. I don't know much about power conditioning, but what unit did you buy and what did it cost?

Stevemobo, have you contacted your power company? Maybe you have a short somewhere which should probably get addressed by professionals as soon as possible.
How do other computers/electronics behave at your house, e.g. your previous computer?
Did you verify your current computer build works at other people's houses? How about at your neighbors'?
That last question could only be answered if you're friendly with your neighbors :) .
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2011 4:42:07 AM

xtrem said:
Had the same problem , turn out , the power i have at home , is less than the one i get at the tech support , so i brought a regulator , and Voila ;P worked like a charm

what is the brand name for the regulator, and how much did it cost you? thanks in advance.
m
l
May 9, 2011 4:45:44 AM

markmywords said:
Xtrem, interesting that it worked for you. I don't know much about power conditioning, but what unit did you buy and what did it cost?

Stevemobo, have you contacted your power company? Maybe you have a short somewhere which should probably get addressed by professionals as soon as possible.
How do other computers/electronics behave at your house, e.g. your previous computer?
Did you verify your current computer build works at other people's houses? How about at your neighbors'?
That last question could only be answered if you're friendly with your neighbors :) .

we have a short for outlets in the bathroom upstairs, and we have been ignoring it for 2 years because we have other outlets that work. Do you think that might be the problem? I am trying to follow up on your advise. I will let you know the result. Thanks, markmyword.
m
l

Best solution

May 9, 2011 4:47:26 AM

How are you trying to turn it on? With the power button on the motherboard or with your case's power button?

When you turn on the switch in the back of the power supply, you then have to press the power button on the motherboard or case. I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but this:

Quote:
and when I turned on PSU, only green light on mobo (standby) turned on.....nothing else.

makes it sound as if you were expecting the computer to turn on just by flipping the switch on the back of the power supply.

You have to connect your case's power button to the motherboard, then press the power button on your computer case.
May 9, 2011 5:50:10 AM

Best answer selected by stevemobo.
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:59:31 AM

mortonww said:
How are you trying to turn it on? With the power button on the motherboard or with your case's power button?

When you turn on the switch in the back of the power supply, you then have to press the power button on the motherboard or case. I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but this:

Quote:
and when I turned on PSU, only green light on mobo (standby) turned on.....nothing else.

makes it sound as if you were expecting the computer to turn on just by flipping the switch on the back of the power supply.

You have to connect your case's power button to the motherboard, then press the power button on your computer case.

mortonww... you solved !!! I thought I knew about computers, but I didn't know I was this ignorant about them. This is my very first build, and previously I didn't even look inside the computer cases of prebuilt computers. I used to use the power button on the front panel.....and somehow I thought it was the same as power button for the PSU. I apologize for wasting time for you guys :D 

I turned on PSU switch, and turned on the power switch on the case, and WALA !!!! My Cool Master full tower was running with beautiful red lights on the fans... This thread could be the stupidest one of the year, LOL :lol: 
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:19:26 AM

Haha, no problem. A lot of the prebuilts don't even have switches on the power supply. Have fun playing games now, lol.
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:29:48 AM

Quote:
I took my computer to a local computer shop. When they turned it on, IT FREAKING WORKED !!!

Hah, I thought the computer shop would have eliminated that possibility. But I guess if you didn't notice...

:lol:  We all have our days. ;)  Enjoy the shiny new build!
m
l
May 9, 2011 4:59:13 PM

markmywords said:
Quote:
I took my computer to a local computer shop. When they turned it on, IT FREAKING WORKED !!!

Hah, I thought the computer shop would have eliminated that possibility. But I guess if you didn't notice...

:lol:  We all have our days. ;)  Enjoy the shiny new build!

What happened was....I took it to the computer shop and the owner said he needed the manual for the mobo. So I went back home, grabbed it and came back to shop...and he already plugged that in and was running. So I didn't get a chance to see that.

when I connected the front channel power on/off cable to mobo, I actually knew about the front power button.....and somehow I totally forgot about it afterwards.

anyways...thanks for your time again, markmyword :pt1cable: 
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:03:21 PM

mortonww said:
Haha, no problem. A lot of the prebuilts don't even have switches on the power supply. Have fun playing games now, lol.

thanks, mortonww.
m
l
May 15, 2011 1:20:12 PM

sorry for the late reply , am new to the forum :|
the regulator cost $60 ,dunno the brand , but i see u dont need it anymore
i expected u connect the mobo to ur psu to ur power button xD , none the less did the technician who tried to fix ur pc , removed the plugs back D: why would he do that !!!!
m
l
May 20, 2011 2:46:54 AM

stevemobo said:
What happened was....I took it to the computer shop and the owner said he needed the manual for the mobo. So I went back home, grabbed it and came back to shop...and he already plugged that in and was running. So I didn't get a chance to see that.

when I connected the front channel power on/off cable to mobo, I actually knew about the front power button.....and somehow I totally forgot about it afterwards.

anyways...thanks for your time again, markmyword :pt1cable: 

;) 
m
l
!