Help memory OC noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyynnxx

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hello fellow overclockers,

My name is Joshua and I am here to learn from you all. I just recently bought a nice setup and wanted to share it with you guys, both the good and the bad...mostly the bad since I will need your help with alot of overclocking issues.

I am from Southern California. I go to school in Santa Monica for Visual Arts. I love fast cars and computers. Started working out at the gym recently to stay healthy. I am sure as time goes on we will get to know one another, hope to have conversations with you all soon enough.

At the moment I am trying to figure out how to post my computer specs so you guys dont have to ask about them when I post, like in a signature or what not.

My problem at the moment is this, is my timing right with the setup I have or is there a correct answer to this problem? I just bought all new components for a new rig and my memory said it can be overclocked to 2133mhz. I have done my research and have come to a conclusion that the timing for my Corsair Dominator GT 16gb Quad Core Memory should be set to 9-11-10-27? My computer does work, but the reason I am asking is because with this rig I have I should not being getting any lag or FPS issues in my game. Most forums tell me it is a memory issue. So I am here to ask of your opinions on this situation and future situations I know I will come across.

Here is my rig setup as is:

ASUS Digi+ II 8+2 Phase Power 8 x DIMM Intel X79 ATX DDR3 2400 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboards, Rampage IV Extreme/BF3
Asus HD 7970 Video Card
Corsair Dominator GT 16gb 2133Mhz Quad Channel Memory
Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-3960X 3.3 GHz 15MB LGA2011 Processor
OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case
LGWH12LS38K 12X Internal SATA Blu-Ray/DVD Burner
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB HDD
Corsair Hydro Series H100
Corsair HX Professional Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

P.S, I am an overclocking noob, but I learn fast and do my research. The system I have now is awsome, but I am not that knowledgable yet to make it run at its full capacity, thats where you lovely people come in at^^

Solution

Be on the look up for the latest drivers, they have update patches for the games and the game makers have patches for the games too : )
I'd say "Don't bother."

Overclocking RAM in an Intel system adds little to the overall system performance.

Better to set it to DDR3-1333 or -1600 and run it at 1.50 volts.

With a system like yours, if you are having lag or FPS issues, it is not the RAM.

Jyynnxx

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Maybe the processor then? I have it Overclocked to 4.5ghz @ 100 x 45.

The video card I have not overclocked yet, since it is a reference card, dont want it to get too hot.

Hi there,

It is just like ^ jsc wrote, not much improvements on the intael platform, unless u are into benchmarks. That's the place to see the differences.

In real life, if u don't run virtual machines or do long encodes the difference is not noticeable.

Right now u are on the top of your PC's performance, if the CPU is OC'd.

Jyynnxx

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
So maybe its just AMDs crappy vid card drivers that mess up some games? Like in the witcher 2 some CG scenes jag and jitter ALOT. Crysis 2 cant play full screen cuz its feel a little laggy or mouse laggy or something is off. Cant play CG scenes in swtor cuz it freezes the computer and I ALWAYS have to reset it. If I play in windowed mode for most games it fixes the issue, but in witcher 2 if I play in windowed mode it shows the toolbar of windows, just kind of takes me out of the game experiience. Guess I am a little weird about that type of stuff. I mostly play on a 60" plasma panasonic viera and I always play with vsync on and triple buffer if selectable. I know with this top of the line system I shouldnt have any problems in the fps department at all.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Make sure that your GPU drivers are up to date. You should be running version AMD CCC 12.3 (soon to be 12.4). If that doesn't fix it, check if the Vertex 3's firmware is up to date. That's one thing I can think of in your rig that could cause stuttering, in addition to the GPU.

Be on the look up for the latest drivers, they have update patches for the games and the game makers have patches for the games too : )

Solution

Jyynnxx

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
It actually was the GPU Driver... I had 12.3 drivers, but I didnt have the CAP 1. Everything is working wonders, besides some old games just do not work at all on my system, like Diablo II and Bioshock. I dont know why those games dont work, but as long as all current games work, that is all I care about. So thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.