Are they worth the price?

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I live in Nova Scotia Canada and on our local Kijiji site, there is someone selling 2 ATI Radeon HD 4890 video cards (crossfire setup in his pics) for $115 each (probably could get for $200 for both) and am wondering if you experts feel this is reasonable. Our dollar is actually 2-3 cents higher in value right now than the US dollar. I thank you for any responses.

Solution
My thought is that those cards will perform well. Probably better than a 6850 or 460. However, there's no room for upgrade and they also aren't DX11 enabled.

Particularily if you think you'll sell the system, I would probably avoid them. I think it would be easier to sell a system advertising how modern/high tech it is. If I were to build a system to sell with those, I would only do so with lowish end parts. IE: Budget PC.
Well it does seem reasonable... but... those cards are now 2 generations old. Who knows if they've been overclocked.

For the price, new, you could get a 6850 or a GTX 460, and for just a bit more a 5850 or 6870.

So the questions I have are... what's your system specs, what resolution monitor do you have, and what type of games do you play/performance do you want?

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
No specs as of yet. Thinking of a build for either myself or to sell once completed. I realize the card is older but they are powerful and in crossfire...well...most games like COD MW2, WOW catatclysm, and even newer should run pretty good.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I would get an AMD 6850, well, this it offers alot of room for upgrades if you want to go 3 way X fire and is a great price and amazing performance---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141125<><>It also depends on what you are using it for,but over all,those cards the person is selling are dinosaurs.You will need modern technology.

My thought is that those cards will perform well. Probably better than a 6850 or 460. However, there's no room for upgrade and they also aren't DX11 enabled.

Particularily if you think you'll sell the system, I would probably avoid them. I think it would be easier to sell a system advertising how modern/high tech it is. If I were to build a system to sell with those, I would only do so with lowish end parts. IE: Budget PC.

Solution