Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Just bought "new" AMD Phenom; how can I tell if it IS new?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 4, 2011 6:09:19 AM

Hello,
I just received my new AMD Phenom ii x4 955 cpu & fan today from Newegg.
The cpu/fan box does have a seal/tape on it. (I bought this "new", NOT "open box".) BUT the cpu itself, on the top surface, isn't uniform. It's matte AND shiny. I haven't bought a new cpu in years AND this is my first AMD cpu but I don't remember my Intel cpus looking like this. Is that the norm or is it probably used?
[I don't have the rest of my new parts yet, so I haven't tried it to see if it works or not.]
I hate the thought of having to RMA it but on the other hand, if it is used I'd worry about it lasting, not to mention I paid full price for it.
I figure you guys buy these all the time and know what is normal. Also wondered if anyone has received non-new parts that were supposed to be new from Newegg?
Thanks for any help with this!

More about : bought amd phenom

a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 7:25:08 AM

Can you upload a picture somewhere? I'm taking a wild guess here, but if the matte bit is light grey in colour and looks a bit like dry tile cement, it may be thermal grease, in which case the CPU has probably been used.

I suggest you contact Newegg and ask them about it.
Score
0
August 4, 2011 7:42:29 AM

By mate and shiny do you mean it has prints on top? It should be that way.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 8:09:16 AM

Its usually fairly obvious if there's thermal paste applied so ill assume its not this.

Is there anything scribed onto the top of the CPU? any writing or AMD logo visible ect?
Score
0
August 4, 2011 8:47:40 AM

get a pic uploaded
Score
0
August 4, 2011 8:48:54 AM

There is no paste. It is just shiny in some areas and not in others. There is printing by AMD.
Can I upload a photo here somehow?
If not, what's the simplest way to do that?
Thanks!
Score
0
August 4, 2011 9:29:33 AM

veedubb said:
There is no paste. It is just shiny in some areas and not in others. There is printing by AMD.
Can I upload a photo here somehow?
If not, what's the simplest way to do that?
Thanks!


Just upload it to tinypic.com and paste the link in.
Score
0
August 4, 2011 10:14:46 AM

I just spent the last hour trying to get a decent pic of my cpu. (Apparently I suck at close-up photo taking).

It's not real clear but you can see where it is discolored. There is no difference in the feeling, nothing I can scrape with my fingernail. Just shiny and not shiny spots. They don't even show in the photo, but on the top and bottom edges (left and right in the photo) there are 2 distinct marks each where I presume a heatsink was attached.


Here's the link:

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=YI5foqIfZ6


Score
0
August 4, 2011 10:43:56 AM

Im guessing that if it was amd sealed then it should be brand new. I also read somewhere that when amd test them, sometimes they can leave small marks. I am unsure if this is true or not.

If it was sold as new then it has a warranty like new
Score
0
a c 94 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2011 10:59:38 AM

if it were me, id save myself the hassle and just use it, if it doesnt work, then return it.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 12:10:24 PM

That is strange, but i agree with iam2thecrowe. Make sure the top is clean, then give it a try.

Also for the picture, you are likely too close for the focus of your camera. Try backing up a bit so the autofocus can focus. The processor will be smaller in the image, but with the resolution of today's cameras we will still be able to see it.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 12:52:38 PM

It is new..
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 12:52:44 PM

If you go ahead and install it to try it, check the pins first.

It may not be a sign its been used, but at least if you know all the pins are straight and where they should be and it then doesn't work when you install it, its not because of something you have done.
Score
0
August 4, 2011 5:58:50 PM

Thanks.
My case and mobo are still in transit, so I can't try it today.
I am concerned with how much time I have to return it to Newegg for an exchange.

I think I will try to take a better photo tonite just to put my mind at ease if you say, "oh yah, that looks totally normal" or to see if you all say, "that is definitely not right" and then I will RMA it. Weekend's coming and too much time will have gone by.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me.
Score
0
August 4, 2011 5:59:42 PM

Uther39 said:
It is new..


This answer is based on the photo?
Thanks!
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 6:11:08 PM

Yes the answer is based on the photo, i have bought and installed hundreds of cpus both intel and amd over the last 10 years and i can tell you it is new, and even if it wasnt, which it is, its still being sold to you as a new cpu so you still get AMDs full warranty cover on it.
Score
0
August 4, 2011 6:28:23 PM

I went ahead and called Newegg to see what they say. They said I could put in for a replacement and send it back, and then when the RMA dept. gets it they will inspect it. If they determine it is used, they will send me a replacement. If they determine it is new, they will inform me that they are sending it back.
(I hate this. Wish I had a PC to try it in...).

So, I will be trying to take a better pic tonite for your judgements - probably better than Newegg's RMA dept!

Thank you!
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2011 6:32:20 PM

dhicks19 said:
Im guessing that if it was intel sealed then it should be brand new. I also read somewhere that when intel test them, sometimes they can leave small marks. I am unsure if this is true or not.

If it was sold as new then it has a warranty like new


Dude, what planet are you from? Intel does not package OR test AMD cpu's. :hello: 

OP, you have 30 days to return to Newegg for exchange and 3 yrs warranty from AMD.
Score
0
August 4, 2011 11:05:08 PM

Okay. I have taken a few more pics. Please look at them and see what you think.

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=LHkEnv7hNU

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=BxdtgMwqwV

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=yTvyqD7itg

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=xTUlLPM2dj

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=fpJn42gpWk

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=Hcb9s3VJk6

Uther39, I am reassured by what you said but will you also look at these and see if you still think it's new?

I will go by what you guys say after looking at these pics cuz I just can't decide what to do...

Thanks so much everyone for your time and advice!

PS I realize I can warranty it down the road but until then, every BSOD or weird reboot, I would be wondering if the CPU is causing it. I am probably over-thinking this but I would still like your opinions on whether it looks like a normal. new CPU to you guys. And I sincerely thank you for your patience.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2011 11:16:52 PM

If it is a retail CPU then the box it came should have an unbroken security seal, if the seal is broken or missing then it's a 'used' item.
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 5, 2011 7:14:25 AM

I have to admit it doesn't look quite like mine did. My i5-2500k came immaculate.

For peace of mind its probably easier to just get it swapped. At least that way you KNOW whats what.
Share
August 5, 2011 7:51:17 AM

geekapproved said:
Dude, what planet are you from? Intel does not package OR test AMD cpu's. :hello: 

OP, you have 30 days to return to Newegg for exchange and 3 yrs warranty from AMD.


I am origianally from mars but moved here in the summer, DUDE CLEARLY I MEANT AMD
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2011 1:25:23 PM

dhicks19 said:
I am origianally from mars but moved here in the summer, DUDE CLEARLY I MEANT AMD


Sorry, but you clearly said Intel twice. lol
Score
0
August 5, 2011 1:46:53 PM

I had it in my mind that it was intel. I read so many posts on intel this intel that I guess AMD didnt exist for a moment. But BOOM! i know it does again now!

Im back
Score
0
August 5, 2011 1:47:48 PM

Oh wheres that intel gone now? If it aint there, it never happened
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2011 5:08:54 PM

dhicks19 said:
Oh wheres that intel gone now? If it aint there, it never happened


Yeah but I quoted you, good luck deleting that. lol
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2011 6:11:26 PM

veedubb said:
Okay. I have taken a few more pics. Please look at them and see what you think.

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=LHkEnv7hNU

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=BxdtgMwqwV

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=yTvyqD7itg

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=xTUlLPM2dj

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=fpJn42gpWk

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=Hcb9s3VJk6

Uther39, I am reassured by what you said but will you also look at these and see if you still think it's new?

I will go by what you guys say after looking at these pics cuz I just can't decide what to do...

Thanks so much everyone for your time and advice!

PS I realize I can warranty it down the road but until then, every BSOD or weird reboot, I would be wondering if the CPU is causing it. I am probably over-thinking this but I would still like your opinions on whether it looks like a normal. new CPU to you guys. And I sincerely thank you for your patience.



Ok from your pictures it actually looks like most of those marks are on the plastic packaging, but if not and they are on the CPU then, it does look dirtier than normal, but again this could be down to a quality controller at AMD not doing a very good job of cleaning it after testing ? Did it come in a retail box with an unbroken security seal? If so then its fine and save yourself the hassle of an RMA.
Score
0
August 5, 2011 6:25:08 PM

Uther39 said:
Ok from your pictures it actually looks like most of those marks are on the plastic packaging, but if not and they are on the CPU then, it does look dirtier than normal, but again this could be down to a quality controller at AMD not doing a very good job of cleaning it after testing ? Did it come in a retail box with an unbroken security seal? If so then its fine and save yourself the hassle of an RMA.


I took 1 of those pics with the plastic pkg closed (the last one) but the rest are with it open (sorry, I meant to not upload the closed one).

The box had an AMD piece of tape/seal(?) on the top flap that I had to cut to open the box. (is it possible that Newegg has those tapes/seals and can put them on a returned cpu?). The box itself has white stress lines on the "hinge" part of the opening flap, like an old box would have.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2011 6:31:28 PM

I would keep it.
No, only AMD would have those seals.
Score
0
August 12, 2011 5:17:11 PM

Best answer selected by veedubb.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 12, 2011 5:38:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!