Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is Best for Gaming Build!

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2011 10:07:23 AM

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a good gaming build! One that would allow me to run high performance games at high to highest settings instead of the lowest which is what I have now. Unfortunetely I have been out of the loop for a while since my last build and I am finding it hard to decide what to do!

I am looking to spend about $1500 perhaps a little more if it is justified!

Some of the parts I was looking at...

GPU - MSI Radeon 6950 2gb or the NVidia GTX570 HD
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500k
Motherboard - P8P67 Pro or the Rampage III Formula
Ram - I would like 8gb not sure which brand to go for!
HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
PSU - Corsair HX850w
Case - Corsair Graphite or NZXT Phantom.

Crossfire - Not quite sure if it gives me the performance boost that would justify the increase in price!

My big issues are with the Video Card ATI or NVidia.
The Processor, I cannot decide on Intel or wait for the AMD Bulldozer.
And Motherboards are also on my list of being unsure.

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me... I am willing to consider any changes recommended about any parts as long as it is within my budget!

More about : gaming build

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 7, 2011 11:15:37 AM

My $0.02

Quote:
My big issues are with the Video Card ATI or NVidia.
GPU - MSI Radeon 6950 2gb or the NVidia GTX570 HD

Both are great cards. I prefer nVidia, because of their better driver support. I have 2 EVGA 570 SC's and have no complaints. even before I added the second one I played everything I have on maxxed settings.

Quote:
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500k
The Processor, I cannot decide on Intel or wait for the AMD Bulldozer.

yes the i5 2500K is the best choice for gaming. why wait for something that "might" be better. the bulldozer is an unknown right now. the Sandy Bridge CPU's are here now and are plenty powefull for gaming. check out Tom's article below:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-int...

Quote:
Motherboard - P8P67 Pro or the Rampage III Formula

not a lot of speed difference in motherboards. get one that has the features you need that won't break you pocket book. I would go with the ASUS P67 Pro or a Gigabyte MB. I never had an issue with those brand names. ASROCK is also a good choice I hear, but don't have any experience with them. check out this article on P67 Mb's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-p67-extreme6...

Quote:
Ram - I would like 8gb not sure which brand to go for!

Gaming wise. 4GB is enough. I run 8Gbs, because I feel it reduces swap file usage. I recommend G.Skill RipJaw X's for the P67 MB. you should get the 1600 speed ram. Latency is also important. I'm running CL8 as is was the best price/performance ratio at the time.
here is an article on memory upgrades:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

Quote:
HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM

Good choice. Samsung makes a solid 1tb drive. also on your budget you might be able to swing a SSD drive also.

Quote:
PSU - Corsair HX850w

Corsair is a solid PSU manufacture as is Seasonic, Antech and Silverstone. The XFX Core series (Seasonic OEM) are also good. 850W is a bit much if you are not going to SLI or CrossFire. a good 600-650W will handle all current GPU's.

Quote:
Case - Corsair Graphite or NZXT Phantom.

Cases are mostly a matter of personal preference. Both your choices are solid. I like NZXT products. they have great tech support.
May 9, 2011 7:42:06 AM

Best answer selected by Rwolflord.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 10, 2011 12:25:42 PM

Rwolflord said:
Best answer selected by Rwolflord.

n
nI thought you would get some more input, than just me. usually you would get 2 or 3 different build plans out of the group.
n
nwhen you get close to dropping the hammer start a thread with the parts you have decided on and your budget limitations and I'm sure the gang will help you find the best deals on the hardware you need, so you won't over spend on things.
n
nyou are on the right track, good luck with the build.
m
l
May 10, 2011 12:43:09 PM

Rampage III Formula is not Sandy Bridge!!!
It's an x58 Mobo !!!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 10, 2011 6:54:55 PM

ammar711 said:
Rampage III Formula is not Sandy Bridge!!!
It's an x58 Mobo !!!

Good catch. I passed over it thinking he was just going for high dollar boards and pointed him to the Tom's article that showed no difference in speed of P67MB's, recommending a lower cost MB that had only the features he needed.
m
l
!