NYCbRyder

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hello, Im trying to upgrade the CPU in my laptop and i cant really find any information on it, maybe someone can help me. I currently have a Sony VGN-NR160E with a T5250 processor. It has a hannstar j mv6 motherboard and the socket is a pga478. I have already upgraded to 4gb ram and my next step would be to upgrade the HDD but right now im stuck on the CPU. havent done this before but I already tried a p8700 processor which failed. not sure if the processor was DOA or if its just incompatible with my motherboard/chipset/whatever... Im looking to upgrade to the fastest possible option since getting a new laptop isnt an option yet. maybe in 6-12 months but for now this is what I got... ANY help and details would be greatly appreciated. I just updated the BIOS to the newest available on the sony website if that matters. I know asking them anything would be like talking to a 2 year old since theyd rather me spend my money to pay them to do it...

If your going to upgrade the processor which you would not normally do in a laptop, you need to choose a model thats has a 35watt thermal evelope to keep it within the cooling specifications of the laptop.

Before you do any swapping, upgrade the bios, to ensure you have latest cpu support.

TRENDING THREADS