Dead Thinkpad

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 8:49:22 AM

My R40e ThinkPad suddenly quit booting...

1) Press powerup button

Results:
5 of the power/system status indicator LEDs light up for about a
second, then 4 turn off (numlock, caplock, battery status, and standby)
leaving only the 'PowerOn' LED on... and nothing more. Fan shuts down
at this point too.

No BIOS, no way to interrupt. I've tried a bootable CD, removing
harddrive, CD, memory... no change in results.

Do I have a dead motherboard? Anything I can do with it? (it's out of
warrenty of course) All creative suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,
Jim

More about : dead thinkpad

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 5:07:08 PM

> Change the CMOS (RTC) battery.

That's one thing I considered, that I haven't tried yet... My 'normal'
experience with desktops, would suggest that a dead battery would cause
the BIOS to revert to defaults, but still at least initiate boot
sequences. Isn't this the case with the laptop here?

I'll try to find a battery tomorrow anyway.. thanks.

Jim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 5:08:40 PM

btw... I DID try booting WITHOUT the battery, with no difference.

-Jim
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 6:36:25 PM

burgerbyte wrote:
> My R40e ThinkPad suddenly quit booting...

Change the CMOS (RTC) battery.

Report back.

--
James
Anonymous

It's definitely worth trying a new CMOS battery but similar symptoms on my
T22 when it was under warranty necessitated a new MB. Good luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2005 9:15:45 AM

I relaced the battery... no difference. Sounds like a system board
failure. Where can I find a replacement?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2005 9:44:23 PM

burgerbyte wrote:
> I relaced the battery... no difference. Sounds like a system board
> failure. Where can I find a replacement?

eBay.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 6:32:28 PM

Pry up on the left side of the laptop in front pressing down on the
palmrest thus slightly twisting the base towards to right rear and
try to boot. IBM's have been known for some bad solder joints as well
as other issues.. Just a shot but let me know if this does make it
fire up..
!