Quickbooks and Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddagoat

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I am at an office trying to setup a VPN such that when associates are not in the office, they can remote and work as if they are there. They use Quickbooks for invoices and all business related works.

I have setup Hamachi as the VPN and it seems to be working, all clients can connect and the VPN is functioning because I see all file shares that are necessary.

When I try to have one of their out of town associates remote in, he can connect to the VPN but when trying to access the Quickbooks company file I keep getting an error message saying:

"Cannot communicate with the company file." Then it goes onto say it could be a firewall issue.

I had the remote gentleman configure his home router to forward the required ports and even turn off his software firewalls. The error still occurs. The firewall at the office is a NetVanta 7100. I was thinking just for testing purposes to put the host machine on the DMZ and see if it works then.

Otherwise I am going to have the office get a seperate router and switch to do their computer networking on.

He has a T1 coming in for VOIP and a DSL coming in for the internet. Both are going into the NetVanta box. Would moving the internet to a seperate thing interrupt his VOIP??

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Check name resolution... Quickbooks I believe tries to find the "server host" by name and not by IP. If you're in a DHCP environment then this is many times less than reliable to begin with. When you're remote via VPN a lot of the clients won't use the same DNS servers and won't see any netbios traffic since they end up on a different segment. I'd try static IP addresses (esp for the "server") and maybe putting them in a host file. That's def helped me in the past with dealing with Quickbooks.

kiddagoat

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Could you possibly provide me with an example how to do this??? I am good with most home networking but this stuff has me at a loss. I understand most of that but dunno how to apply it.

kiddagoat

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Okay I found the hosts file and made the following entry:

10.10.10.111 SUNDISK1 # Quickbooks Server

Is that entry correct??? Do I have to do that for all the clients as well???

I edited the hosts file on the "server" just so you know.

compucare

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
How do you discern what to name your Quickbooks server? Is this by computer name? So if my server is Joe-PC I just make a hosts entry like:

5.5.11.110 Joe-PC

and that should work (assuming all else is the same)? (I am a bit vague on the other syntax provided in your example (i.e. "...SUNDISK 1 #...." would seem superfluous to me).

Israelo

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Hi Hall,

I wish to do same here in my company, i can access qucikbooks data file from remotely and work in multi-users environ, but how can i print from Quickbooks to my Local LAN.

Regards,

Israel

felicitajohnson

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
QuickBooks is a verified and a standout amongst the most preferred accounting software for all entrepreneurs, CPAs and accountants since years. The nearness of QuickBooks has added to significant changes in accounting, whether it’s a small or medium sized firm.

Reactions: ErericWillson
Status
Not open for further replies.