Sign in with
Your question

MSI GTX560-Ti Twin Frozr II -- Acoustics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2011 7:46:10 PM

Hi there, I'm new here :hello: 

Well, I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU. I have a HD5770 1GB Vapor-X, happy with it but now that I've the opportunity I want to upgrade.
A friend of mine told me to check the new GTX 560 with the custom heatsink from MSI, GTX560-Ti Twin Frozr II.
The card looks great and I think it will be overkill for my resolution (1680x1050). I read several reviews and I have no doubts about its horsepower.

Apparently the custom heatsink shines, at least the temps I read were impressivee. But I'm curious (and worried) about the acoustics, it's the only thing that is stopping me from buying the card.

The loudest (and hottest) VGA I had was my Asus HD4850, the thing at full load was so annoying that I bought an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 to put it on it. Almost no noise, awesome.
The card died and I replaced it with a HD5770 Vapor-X. So as you can see, I'm following the low temp/noise road.

I just need more conviction about this GTX560-Ti's acoustics, most opinions say that the card is actually cool AND quiet, and a few people say that is "a bit loud" but who knows, may be that person had a defective unit or the fan was at 100% all the time for some reason (I read the card can handle that impressive temps with the fan at 40% -- I really don't know if that's true)

Thanks for reading me guys, sorry for the long-as-hell text.

a b Î Nvidia
March 1, 2011 7:49:21 PM

i had the same cooler on my Nvidia GTS250, a hotter running card. the card's temps where solid and the cooler was not loud. you can use MSI afterburner to control the fan speed anyway if you think its too loud.
a b Î Nvidia
March 1, 2011 7:58:51 PM

I just got the Asus GTX560; the one Tom's picked in its review. The low noise shown on the THG charts, more than the recommendation, was the primary reason I chose it. My games aren't extremely demanding, but I have yet to notice the fan noise.
Related resources
March 1, 2011 9:01:26 PM

It appears that you can handle the noise coming from the fans pretty nice with the Afterburner software MSI provides.
I see it depends of the entire rig of each person, I think it's the only way to explain why someone can get 53ºC max with the fan at, say, 45% while other guy get 10-13ºC more with the fan at higher (60%) speeds.
a c 434 Î Nvidia
March 1, 2011 10:15:06 PM

According to the noise level charts on this page, the MSI Twin Frozr II is the loudest GTX 560. Having said that, it only runs at 41 Db while gaming. The quietest option is from Gigabyte at 38 Db (which also happens to be the fastest version), with the KFA2 (Galaxy) and Palit Sonic at 39 Db, the Asus DirectCU at 40 Db, and then MSI. So overall, the difference from quietest to loudest is 3 Db, which will make a slight difference.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-560-ti-...
March 2, 2011 5:31:12 AM

Thanks for the info matto17secs, I checked the Guru3D review and yes, the GTX560 from Palit or Galaxy are a little quieter but when it comes to temps, well.. that's why the custom cooler from MSI shines:

MSI 54°C (under load)
Palit 72°C (under load)

So, the question is if it's worth to sacrifice those 3 Db in order to get that level temps. I think the answer is "yes" but I'm still not sure. Dammit.
a c 434 Î Nvidia
March 2, 2011 6:55:53 PM

tomdan said:
Thanks for the info matto17secs, I checked the Guru3D review and yes, the GTX560 from Palit or Galaxy are a little quieter but when it comes to temps, well.. that's why the custom cooler from MSI shines:

MSI 54°C (under load)
Palit 72°C (under load)

So, the question is if it's worth to sacrifice those 3 Db in order to get that level temps. I think the answer is "yes" but I'm still not sure. Dammit.

Here's another roundup of GTX 560 cards, including the MSI Twin Frozr II:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-...

In my opinion, the temperature is great, but it doesn't really have an impact on anything in terms of the overall system or graphics card performance. The GPU is still producing the same amount of heat, and the cooler is still dissipating that heat inside the case. In theory, the lower GPU temperatures should allow for higher overclocks, but that has not proven to be the case.

The MSI Twin Frozr has other design points in it's favor, though, including a custom PCB and high quality components. It should be near the top of anyone's list, but not necessarily someone who is listing "acoustics" as one of their top priorities. All the same, it's not a loud card by any means.

After reading that Tom's Hardware review, I would be all over the Sparkle Calibre with the Arctic Cooling heatsink.
!