Possible to import a BG 2 character to Neverwinter Nights?

Archived from groups: alt.baldurs-gate,alt.games.baldurs-gate,alt.games.neverwinter-nights,free.it.giochi.baldurs_gate,free.it.giochi.neverwinternights (More info?)

Hello!

I was wondering if it's possible to import a character from Baldur's Gate II
to Neverwinter Nights. My manuals say nothing about this so maybe it's not
possible. However if it *is* I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how it
is done! :)

Thank you for reading this. And a gentle tipping of my hat if you can help
me :)

Rauno Pakarinen wrote:
> I was wondering if it's possible to import a character from Baldur's Gate II
> to Neverwinter Nights.

No. Not only is NWN intended for first-level characters, but the rules
system is completely different.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Archived from groups: alt.baldurs-gate,alt.games.baldurs-gate,alt.games.neverwinter-nights,free.it.giochi.baldurs_gate,free.it.giochi.neverwinternights (More info?)

Not possible, in a sense, you could create an environment with the toolset
and create a character. with similiar attributes, you can create the items
he or she has. but why, NeverWinter Nights Official Campaign, and Shadows of
Undrentide both are scaled for a beginning character. futhermore BG series
was not based on 3ED ruleset( not that NWN is, but it's closer than BG
series )so you are goin to find your character in NWN will be more rounded,
so to speak than in BG series.

enjoy!

Syn

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> Rauno Pakarinen wrote:
> > I was wondering if it's possible to import a character from Baldur's
Gate II
> > to Neverwinter Nights.
>

> No. Not only is NWN intended for first-level characters, but the rules
> system is completely different.

I disagree. The modules that come with NWN and SoU are meant for first-level
characters. The module of HotU is meant for level 15 characters. Nwn it's
self is meant for you to play 3E DnD in what ever level the module designer
meant for you to play

Archived from groups: alt.baldurs-gate,alt.games.baldurs-gate,alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Rauno Pakarinen" <rauno.pakarinen@luukku.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to import a character from Baldur's Gate
II
> to Neverwinter Nights. My manuals say nothing about this so maybe it's not
> possible. However if it *is* I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how
it
> is done! :)
>
> Thank you for reading this. And a gentle tipping of my hat if you can help
> me :)

No you cannot directly import a character from BG 1 or 2.
Yes you can use the toolset or Leto to created a very similar character.
There will be some differences do to the 3E rules and the difference in game
engines. Keep in mind that characters modified by toolset, console
commands or Leto may or maynot be acceptable to a given multiplayer server.
For single player, no problem. As stated in other responses, the NWN
original campaign and SoU are designed for 1st level characters. Bringing
in a high level character in these games will seriously screw game balance.

Windigo

Windigo wrote:
>Bringing
> in a high level character in these games will seriously screw game balance.

Kind of funny thing - bring in a high-level character that does not have
magic items appropriate to their level, and they will get their butt
handed to them in the Pennisula District due to the scaled encounters.
Have not fooled with this in other areas but would expect the same to be
true.

Just for kicks I decided to throw a 15th level fighter in there, with
nothing but a loin cloth, a medium shield, and a longsword. I was just
going to go cut some people up for mindless action. It seemed like
every encounter had 1 or 2 gang leaders in it, who just constantly shot
Melf's Acid Arrows at me while I was slicing through their fodder.
Those things eat up your hit points quickly.

Archived from groups: alt.baldurs-gate,alt.games.baldurs-gate,alt.games.neverwinter-nights,free.it.giochi.baldurs_gate,free.it.giochi.neverwinternights (More info?)

NWN is based on the 3ed D&D - just a liberal interpretation

Kharsis

Visceral_Syn wrote:
> Not possible, in a sense, you could create an environment with the toolset
> and create a character. with similiar attributes, you can create the items
> he or she has. but why, NeverWinter Nights Official Campaign, and Shadows of
> Undrentide both are scaled for a beginning character. futhermore BG series
> was not based on 3ED ruleset( not that NWN is, but it's closer than BG
> series )so you are goin to find your character in NWN will be more rounded,
> so to speak than in BG series.
>
> enjoy!
>
> Syn

Archived from groups: alt.baldurs-gate,alt.games.baldurs-gate,alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

> Kind of funny thing - bring in a high-level character that does not have
> magic items appropriate to their level, and they will get their butt
> handed to them in the Pennisula District due to the scaled encounters.
> Have not fooled with this in other areas but would expect the same to be
> true.
>
> Just for kicks I decided to throw a 15th level fighter in there, with
> nothing but a loin cloth, a medium shield, and a longsword. I was just
> going to go cut some people up for mindless action. It seemed like
> every encounter had 1 or 2 gang leaders in it, who just constantly shot
> Melf's Acid Arrows at me while I was slicing through their fodder.
> Those things eat up your hit points quickly.

It is very true for class that needs proper equipment...
But for monks and magic users that's never a problem :)