New hdd and trying to install windows 7

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Hello,
i had a problem with my old hard drive, it was damaged for some reason and could not boot or repair.
i have bought a new hdd and unfortunately its empty.
now i am trying to install windows form a USB Databar 2.0 and it says "Missing Operating System".
so i tried to install it with the windows 7 dvd and when it boots it says "Media Check Failure, Check Cable".
this was said by NVIDIA Boot Agent.
so i checked and it looks like everything is attached the way it supposed to be and it still wont install.
what should i do?

i bought a cable from sata to USB in order to try to copy the windows folder from my laptop to the new drive, so it has something to boot with.
but my laptop does'nt show me the folder of the HDD so i can copy the files to it.

2,60Ghz Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS
Western Digital HDD 250Gb (empty, New)

G

Try pressing F12 key repeatedly as soon as you starting the machine and select the boot drive or instead pressing F2 to enter BIOS and then select BOOT device sequences. Hope it works

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Try pressing F12 key repeatedly as soon as you starting the machine and select the boot drive or instead pressing F2 to enter BIOS and then select BOOT device sequences. Hope it works

good thinking, but i already tried to boot from the dvd and it still goes to nvidia boot agent telling me tot check the cables

tlw1999

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Check your BIOS settings and make sure it is set to boot from the DVD drive first. If that doesn't work set your BIOS to the default settings.

G

You edited your post after my first Answer I think. Okay so, Actually Laptops came with an OEM version of Windows. You may not use that for other Machines I guess .

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
You edited your post after my first Answer I think. Okay so, Actually Laptops came with an OEM version of Windows. You may not use that for other Machines I guess .
i've tried to boot indeed on the hdd of the laptop to check if it can boot from there, then i would be able to copy the windows internally, using two hdd's the new 1 en the 1 from the laptop but every time i tried to boot i got a blue screen and rebooted, so that didn't work sadly enough

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

i did that, and it still goes to nvidia boot agent and it still tells me to check the cable because there is a media test failure.

G

If you want to fix the laptop's Windows, did you try Safe Mode?
Pressing F8 during boot?

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
If you want to fix the laptop's Windows, did you try Safe Mode?
Pressing F8 during boot?
yes i tried and even that did'nt work strangely
but when i set my USB with windwos on it on first place in BIOS it says Missing operating system, but when do the usb stick in another laptop it asks me to open the windows 7 installer
but its not my intention to fix my laptop's windows, that is working perfectly without ANY problems only my stupid desktop is already providing me 3 years of stress and anger because the stupid thing never does what it should do :fou:

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
do you know the model of your motherboard?
yes, i bought it online beacause my first one was blown... but it is a MSI nvidia mcp73pv.
i replaced the blown one for exactly the same motherboard only newer

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

yes

on some computer (mine) boot menu is accessed by tapping the "esc" key

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
i tried pulling out the BIOS battery and put it back in but it still wont start from my dvd.
it still continues to the boot agent

G

the last thing
goto into bios pressing f2 or DEL
find the sequence of your boot drive now and disable boot from network or something like that.

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
the last thing
goto into bios pressing f2 or DEL
find the sequence of your boot drive now and disable boot from network or something like that.
cant find anything about boot from network, it is in the list of boot devices but i can't turn it off or something

simpie6

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
VICTORY!!!!
i've managed to get my system up and running again.
it could help if you have the same problem that the computer cant boot of a usb device and it says "operating system missing", just download a special bootable device maker from the windows site.
its called windows 7 downloadprogram for USB DVD.
just select the iso file on your computer and choose if you want to make a DVD or USB and it will boot again!
it totally surprised me that i have managed it to get it back running again.
but after all it wasnt as easy as i thought, ive been working on it for 3 weeks now.

but thanks for all the comments!