New build pc problem

sbp

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I have recently decided to build a new pc, because all I have at the moment is a macbook laptop.

Here are the components which I have purchased either from scan, overclockers or ebuyer.

NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Black Full Tower Case

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, 1155

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Rev1.1 Motherboard.

Corsair Hydro Series H70 High-performance

Gigabyte GTX 560 OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Blue

OCZ Agility Series 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM

Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU

Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Surround Sound Card

Tenda Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I will try and explain as best as I can what the problem is. I am also uploading a video right now.

Firstly, when assembled everything, the BIOS would not load up and all I get is the phase lights which flash every 4-6 seconds or so. Secondly, the CPU cooler, H70 does not fit the the motherboard, it gives me instructions for various sockets and that I tried using the 1156 socket instructions however i could not get it to line up, and I could not install it (the mounting bracket which is placed behind the motherboard does not fit properly and that I followed the instructions extremely carefully which I spent over 2 hours just trying to fit the H70). Therefore I just removed the back mounting bracket and just used the nuts and screws to securely fix the H70 cooler (holds very firmly)

The phase lights I have mention state that 'The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs '

I am thinking it is a motherboard or cpu problem?

Ive tried using the follow memory slots
DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 slots
DDR3_2 and DDR3_4 slots
DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 slots
A single DDR3_1 slot

I have searched around on the net and found a few people with the same issue as me, but when I try their solutions which worked on their setup, mine did not. Some of the solutions were using both 24pin and (2x4)pin(CPU) cables connected from the power supply to motherboard, changing the memory slots, using standoffs (which I use on the motherboard, not sure If I am doing it correctly).

Ive tried just using the power supply, motherboard, CPU and I get the same results. I cannot even get the bios screen to load up, there are no sounds coming from the motherboard when I try and boot up. Am I missing something obvious here?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
The bracket has insulation on the motherboard side to prevent shorting out the motherboard. Just using screws and nuts to install the H70 isn't a smart idea as that could/will ruin your board. Install the stock cooling for now. I can't view your video at work so when I see that I'll say more but for now don't use the H70 without the back brace.

The standoffs should be under the holes that the mb mounting screws pass through , and only in those places .
They help electrically isolate the mb from the case . Use the non conductive washers

If the H70 wont fit you have done something incorrectly . It should fit a 1155 the same as it fits a 1156 .

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah - it sounds like a short. You need to make sure that the standoff screws are placed in the case, in the correct holes, before you screw your motherboard screws into the standoffs. This will prevent the motherboard from shorting out. As for the 1156 backplate - well it might be a tight fit, but you must use the back-plate, as mentioned above, also to prevent shorts.

If you keep doing what you are doing you will fry your components.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I think you need to try the backplate, and if it still dont fit the screws, rotate it 90 degrees. Then the holes should line up :)