Videocard dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan123

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hello everyone, I think I could use help confirming that the problems that I’m having with my computer are due to my video card crapping out.

I started up a game a few days ago and almost immediately the screen went black and the pc became unresponsive. After a restart the computer was running weird. It booted in the lowest resolution possible, the aero peek preview and transparent toolbar effects did not work, and the sleep/hibernate options were greyed out in the start menu. After trying some things like shutting the pc off for a while and checking the connections, I decided to reformat my hard drive and do a clean install of windows since I was meaning to do that for a while anyway.

The problems persisted so I’m confident that it’s a hardware problem, and most likely something to do with the video card.

My setup is currently:
MOBO: Asus P5K
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHZ
RAM: 6GB DDR2
GPU: 8800 GTS 512
PSU: 650W

Just wanted to get a second, more educated opinion on this since I really don’t know that much about this stuff.

Solution
Have you gotten the latest drivers from the nVidia site? When you mention that it is booting in 800x600 and also after reformatting the drive, it sounds like the 8800GTS is dying. Can you test it in another system?

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Have you gotten the latest drivers from the nVidia site? When you mention that it is booting in 800x600 and also after reformatting the drive, it sounds like the 8800GTS is dying. Can you test it in another system?

Solution

Dan123

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Yes I made sure to get the latest drivers from their website both before and after the reformat with no effect.

I have an old piece of junk pc I can hook the thing up to. Am I mainly looking for the same problems to come over when I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.