GeForce GTX 275 Driver Issue?

scoobysnax

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi Guys,

Hoping to get some help.

Tried searching for an answer and couldn't find something relevant.

The problem is in World of Warcraft, I cannot increase the graphics quality to anything past fair.

The graphics card is decent so it should allow me to go higher, in the past I've had it running on high settings without any problems.

Blizzards answer is to upgrade the driver.

So I've downloaded the driver and after installing and restarting the monitor flickers on and off. Switching between digital and analog.

I then need to jump into safe mode and uninstall the driver or system restore to before the driver was installed.

Operating system : Windows Vista 32 bit
GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 275
PSU : Coolermaster 650w
Mobo : Asus M47n pro

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
A few questions:

1. How old is the card?
2. Does the screen flicker ONLY when in game, or even when you're on your desktop doing nothing?
3. Did you make any other recent hardware changes?
4. Did you make sure to use Driversweeper to remove the old driver BEFORE installing the new driver?

scoobysnax

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the reply.

1. 1 year old
2. Flickers as soon as Windows loads.
3. No
4. I didn't use driversweeper but I removed the old driver manually from control panel -> programs and features.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Try rolling back the driver to a previous version, but make sure you use Driversweeper to remove your current and all other possible drivers installed.

If it's flickering just on the desktop, that's a video card driver problem OR your GPU is going.

If rolling back to another driver doesn't fix things, then you may have a wonky GPU on your hands.

scoobysnax

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Rolling back to previous driver works. I've done this and it works fine.

However, I still can't select higher graphics settings in WoW. Blizzards response is to update the graphics driver.

scoobysnax

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

I'm trying the nvidia forum now. Hopefully get some answers.

I'd hate to have to bin the card and go with ATI. :fou:

Thanks for your help mate.

Boomtankheal

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Roll your driver back to 260.99 most reliable driver for me, newer ones are just crap for wow. Check you heat, if it's rising slap the fan on 100% and see if that helps. good luck