Can A card display without drivers?

I want to get an ASRock 870 Extreme3 chipset, but it has to onboard GPU. How would I get my drivers installed if I cannot see? I though maybe I could burn the drives to a disk and then boot to the disk, but then I realized that I couldn't set the settings in the BIOS to boot to the disk if I couldn't see. If I put my GPU in (hd6850) would I be able to see at all? If not, how would I install my drivers?

Solution
graphics cards will work just fine without 'proper' drivers in 2d mode, just don't try to play any games until you've installed the drivers.
Technically no, but windows comes with some generic drivers that will give you a display.

Best thing to do would be to download Driver Sweeper and the ATI drivers. Then go to add/remove programs and uninstall all your ATI drivers and also run Driver Sweeper to remove them (make sure you select "display drivers"). Then shut down and plug your card in. Boot up and install. Reboot, and you're done.

Kari

Splendid
dont even need windows for it. Boot up a brand new build and you can mess around in bios without windows ever been loaded

By the way, does this system look like a good one?

System specs:

Antec 300 Illusion

ASRock AM3 870 Extreme3 Motherboard

OCZ 600w StealthXstream2

WD 640gb black caviar 6gb drive

ASUS x24 burner drive

4gb Corsair 1333Mhz RAM

ASUS hd6850

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

MX2 Thermal Compound

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The big plus point of NVidia is that they have PhysX. If you want to use it, go for the GTX460/GTX560Ti build instead. I will always recommend people to rather save up a bit and get the GTX560Ti, as it's a much newer GPU and performs much better than the GTX460 for a little more ching.

It is a CFX MoBo, so I want AMD. I also like AMD more anyway. Thank you anyway though.

Any new build or any GPU for that matter will display just fine without drivers, Its not an issue I promise you. Build it/ install OS/ Turn on/ Everything looks huge because it will default to a low resolution output/ Change resolution/ install drivers from disc. Job done.

I have built/Rebuilt/Upgraded plenty of systems and the above is exactly how i do it every time.

Mactronix :)

Okay, can I see while I am installing the OS? I will need to see. I have never, ever built a machine before. As long as I can see while I am installing the OS, I can do the rest. Basically, if I can see, I can set the whole machine up. Basically, the big question is, can I see when I put the GPU in????

Yes, but the computer does not come with windows pre-installed, will I be able to see without windows installed without video card drivers????????? If not, I will buy a MoBo with an IGP.

Yes, of course you can see without anything installed. Otherwise everyone with a P55, X58, or P67 board would be screwed! It'll display no matter what card you put in but it will be at super low res, like 800x600