Forbes take on PSP vs DS

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

http://forbes.com/infoimaging/2004/06/07/cx_pp_0607mondaymatchup.html

Sony PSP Vs. Nintendo DS
Penelope Patsuris, 06.07.04, 6:00 AM ET

NEW YORK - Portable gaming isn't just for 10-year-olds anymore. Both
Sony and Nintendo recently announced new handhelds that are aiming
upmarket, targeting older teens and young adults, who have more
disposable income than the traditional grade-school consumer.

The hand-to-hand(held) combat started at the 2004 Electronic
Entertainment Exposition in Los Angeles late last month, when both
companies unveiled their respective prototypes. In one corner stands
Sony's (nyse: SNE - news - people ) PSP, set to roll out in the United
States by spring 2005; and in the other is Nintendo's DS--a moniker
that is still a code name--which will hit U.S. stores late this year.
The competition marks the first time that a company with real clout
has challenged the lock that Nintendo has had on handheld gaming for
15 years.

"A lot of companies have gone up against Nintendo [in this market],
and everyone wonders why no one else has been successful in it," says
IDC analyst Schelley Olhava. Nokia's (nyse: NOK - news - people )
N-Gage, a combination cell phone and game device, has the distinction
of being the market's most recent flop. Despite a redesign, analysts
say consumers simply don't want a device that is part utility and part
entertainment.

Meanwhile, Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) is mum about the
possibility of a portable Xbox, but you can bet there's one in the
works.

Sony and Nintendo are approaching this market with different
strengths, and their respective strategies to dominate the next
handheld-gaming generation are also very different. Sony will draw
upon the incredible popularity of its PlayStation franchise, which has
established perhaps the most formidable brand in that arena. "A lot of
people think that Sony will be able to transfer [its] PlayStation
brand to the PSP," says Olhava, "and those gamers already skew much
older. Nintendo does better with kids and teens." With both companies
vying for an older market, that could give Sony an edge.

Nintendo is banking on its wholesale dominance in portable gaming.
Thanks to their respective successes, both outfits have elicited
formidable support for their handhelds from such software developers
as Electronic Arts (nasdaq: ERTS - news - people ), THQ (nasdaq: THQI
- news - people ) and Activision (nasdaq: ATVI - news - people ),
which design the games that make or break a device's popularity.

The PSP, Sony's first entry ever into the handheld market, is clearly
designed for more than just gaming. Its games will be stored on what
the company calls a universal media disc, which bears a striking
resemblance to Sony's failed MiniDisc format, according to Wedbush
Morgan gaming analyst Michael Pachter.

"It's clear that Sony intends to place entertainment on its discs
beyond videogames," says Pachter. He speculates that, assuming the PSP
sells well, Sony will have the kind of leverage it lacked with movie
and music outfits when it originally tried to get Hollywood to license
its MiniDisc format. Indeed, Sony's press materials cite interest in
the format from "major music companies." Says Pachter: "I think this
is a backdoor way for Sony to collect royalties on other entertainment
content, and this time, if they have a big installed base, it could
work." In the future he expects the PSP to have its own hard drive for
music, like Apple Computer's (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) iPod.

Nintendo's DS is most distinguished by the two displays it has, one of
which is a touch screen that users can tap to play with a stylus or
their fingers. The dual screens allow gamers to see a bigger map of
where they are in the gaming environment. Pachter is particularly
excited about the DS user's ability to actually draw characters like
Pac-Man that will then become the game's main character.

"That shows the capacity of the device to do things that you just
can't do on consoles," Pachter says. "If you take the gaming
experience and make it more challenging, you'll necessarily expand
your market."

Both the DS and the PSP have wireless connectivity to let gamers play
each other on their own handhelds via a local access network that
spans about 75 feet, or on the Internet using Wi-Fi. The industry
believes that this could prove even more popular than desktop online
multiplayer gaming and will likely drive sales of all gaming
handhelds.

"Community game play is going to be big," predicts Pachter, "and it's
going to be through a local area network and not an online
subscription."

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Props to Forbes for publishing a full article that doesn't actually say
anything. They should be proud.

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://forbes.com/infoimaging/2004/06/07/cx_pp_0607mondaymatchup.html

___
> [...]
> excited about the DS user's ability to actually draw characters like
> Pac-Man that will then become the game's main character.
>
> "That shows the capacity of the device to do things that you just
> can't do on consoles," Pachter says. "If you take the gaming
> experience and make it more challenging, you'll necessarily expand
> your market."
>
> Both the DS and the PSP have wireless connectivity to let gamers play
> each other on their own handhelds via a local access network that
> spans about 75 feet, or on the Internet using Wi-Fi. The industry
> believes that this could prove even more popular than desktop online
> multiplayer gaming and will likely drive sales of all gaming
> handhelds.
>
> "Community game play is going to be big," predicts Pachter, "and it's
> going to be through a local area network and not an online

___

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

As far as the vote on that site goes, I can't believe that Nintendo
has such a high vote. Perhaps people are going on past performance?
Or perhaps there was just a lot of Nintendo fans visiting the site?

I am a Nintendo fan, but I think the company is in for a bigger
kicking than the UK Labour Party, judging by their next portable
device compared with the one from Sony.

John

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

John <count@duckula.com> wrote in message news:<8afnc0hnck54bn1q2338ehirv4aoo5rh6v@4ax.com>...

> I am a Nintendo fan, but I think the company is in for a bigger
> kicking than the UK Labour Party, judging by their next portable
> device compared with the one from Sony.

I'm guessing it's Sony in for an unpleasant surprise after having it
easy in the console space.

If the PSP really is 2-3 times as expensive with 1/4 the battery life,
I wouldn't go writing Nintendo's epitaph quite yet.

In article <b7e5b017.0406131322.4c3e5aa9@posting.google.com>,
a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com says...
> John <count@duckula.com> wrote in message news:<8afnc0hnck54bn1q2338ehirv4aoo5rh6v@4ax.com>...
>
> > I am a Nintendo fan, but I think the company is in for a bigger
> > kicking than the UK Labour Party, judging by their next portable
> > device compared with the one from Sony.
>
> I'm guessing it's Sony in for an unpleasant surprise after having it
> easy in the console space.
>
> If the PSP really is 2-3 times as expensive with 1/4 the battery life,
> I wouldn't go writing Nintendo's epitaph quite yet.

Agreed. The PSP is a sexy piece of kit, but impractical as a portable
gaming device. And I thought the 'video screen as fashion accessory'
advertisement was just hilarious(ly preposterous). No one walks around a
platter-sized game device, or music player for that matter. Small,
smaller, smallest is the order of the day.

It might fit well though for the urban commuter who wants to watch
videos to and from work. Of course, there are already half a dozen
portable video players on the market that use hard disks, so you can
copy whatever videos you like onto them (versus only pre-recorded videos
on the PSP). Still, drop the price to $250 or less and they should do
quite well indeed. Too bad they'll sell for twice that.

"Garrett McGowan" <garrett@w-link.net> wrote in message
> In article <b7e5b017.0406131322.4c3e5aa9@posting.google.com>,
> a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com says...
> > John <count@duckula.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > I am a Nintendo fan, but I think the company is in for a bigger
> > > kicking than the UK Labour Party, judging by their next portable
> > > device compared with the one from Sony.
> >
> > I'm guessing it's Sony in for an unpleasant surprise after having it
> > easy in the console space.
> >
> > If the PSP really is 2-3 times as expensive with 1/4 the battery life,
> > I wouldn't go writing Nintendo's epitaph quite yet.
> >

> Agreed. The PSP is a sexy piece of kit, but impractical as a portable
> gaming device. And I thought the 'video screen as fashion accessory'
> advertisement was just hilarious(ly preposterous). No one walks around a
> platter-sized game device, or music player for that matter. Small,
> smaller, smallest is the order of the day.
>
> It might fit well though for the urban commuter who wants to watch
> videos to and from work. Of course, there are already half a dozen
> portable video players on the market that use hard disks, so you can
> copy whatever videos you like onto them (versus only pre-recorded videos
> on the PSP). Still, drop the price to $250 or less and they should do
> quite well indeed. Too bad they'll sell for twice that.

I'll bet you $100 right here and now that the PSP will *NOT* sell for $500.

The DS and PSP will both do well, but they are aimed at different markets.
The Nintendo is aimed at children and young adults who don't care about
being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many adults
do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are sitting
outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up into a
pocket, why would they flock to the DS? On the other hand, the PSP is aimed
at adults who already carry electronic gadgets--cell phones, PDAs, portable
DVD players, MP3 players, CD players, and so forth. Even though it plays
games, it also plays music and movies, which is likely to make it more
"acceptable" to adults who might otherwise look down their noses at
videogames.

Drax

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Garrett McGowan" <garrett@w-link.net> wrote in message
> > In article <b7e5b017.0406131322.4c3e5aa9@posting.google.com>,
> > a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com says...
> > > John <count@duckula.com> wrote in message

> > > I'm guessing it's Sony in for an unpleasant surprise after having it
> > > easy in the console space.
> > >
> > > If the PSP really is 2-3 times as expensive with 1/4 the battery life,
> > > I wouldn't go writing Nintendo's epitaph quite yet.
> > >

> > Agreed. The PSP is a sexy piece of kit, but impractical as a portable
> > gaming device. And I thought the 'video screen as fashion accessory'
> > advertisement was just hilarious(ly preposterous). No one walks around a
> > platter-sized game device, or music player for that matter. Small,
> > smaller, smallest is the order of the day.
> >
> > It might fit well though for the urban commuter who wants to watch
> > videos to and from work. Of course, there are already half a dozen
> > portable video players on the market that use hard disks, so you can
> > copy whatever videos you like onto them (versus only pre-recorded videos
> > on the PSP). Still, drop the price to $250 or less and they should do
> > quite well indeed. Too bad they'll sell for twice that.
>
> I'll bet you $100 right here and now that the PSP will *NOT* sell for
$500.

> The DS and PSP will both do well, but they are aimed at different markets.
> The Nintendo is aimed at children and young adults who don't care about
> being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
adults
> do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are sitting
> outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up into
> pocket, why would they flock to the DS? On the other hand, the PSP is
aimed
> at adults who already carry electronic gadgets--cell phones, PDAs,
portable
> DVD players, MP3 players, CD players, and so forth. Even though it plays
> games, it also plays music and movies, which is likely to make it more
> "acceptable" to adults who might otherwise look down their noses at
> videogames.

The fact that all your music and movies will have to be purchased on a
proprietary format, and if you want to watch or listen to anything you
already own you'll have to buy it again, should make adults look down their
nose at the PSP (as a media player). Gaming on the PSP is another argument.

drax

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

> being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
adults
> do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are sitting
> outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up into

Ummm...lots actually - just not the teeny boppers who think they are adults.
Most adults really don't worry too much about kiddie things like 'being
ridiculed'. Your are showing your age...ummm - maybe not yet to puberty?

"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
> adults
> > do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are sitting
> > outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up
into

> Ummm...lots actually - just not the teeny boppers who think they are
adults.
> Most adults really don't worry too much about kiddie things like 'being
> ridiculed'. Your are showing your age...ummm - maybe not yet to puberty?

Hardly.

As a 38 year-old, I have never seen someone my age or older playing a
GameBoy by themselves on an airplane, on the light rail, in the park on a
bench, in a movie theater before the show, at a restaurant, or basically
anywhere else...unless they happen to borrow one from their kids who are
with them. I don't know where you live, how old you are, or in what social
circles you reside, but it just doesn't happen here. In fact, the only time
I ever see adults using a GBA is when my colleagues and I attend E3--we bust
them out during the long van ride.

Despite the fact that console videogames have become more mainstream in the
past decade or so, handheld videogames have not. The majority of people
playing them are still pre-teens or the stereotypical socially inept single
male. Anyone who works retail can confirm this--just ask them who is coming
in to purchase GBA titles. If it is not young kids, it is the
parents/grandparents buying the games for the young kids.

Trex

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

-snip-

> Despite the fact that console videogames have become more mainstream in
the
> past decade or so, handheld videogames have not. The majority of people
> playing them are still pre-teens or the stereotypical socially inept
single
> male. Anyone who works retail can confirm this--just ask them who is
coming
> in to purchase GBA titles. If it is not young kids, it is the
> parents/grandparents buying the games for the young kids.

You probably won't see them playing the PSP either.

a). You will have to carry it around with you.

b). You will have to carry the games, music, movies... etc. with you.

c). Take your eyes off of it for a second, and its bye-bye PSP.

d). Also, by the time they are out of the GBA stage, won't the boys have
something ELSE on their minds... and
likewise the ladies... but not the same thing????

T-Rex

"drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Garrett McGowan" <garrett@w-link.net> wrote in message
> > > In article <b7e5b017.0406131322.4c3e5aa9@posting.google.com>,
> > > a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com says...

> > > Agreed. The PSP is a sexy piece of kit, but impractical as a portable
> > > gaming device. And I thought the 'video screen as fashion accessory'
> > > advertisement was just hilarious(ly preposterous). No one walks around
> > > platter-sized game device, or music player for that matter. Small,
> > > smaller, smallest is the order of the day.
> > >
> > > It might fit well though for the urban commuter who wants to watch
> > > videos to and from work. Of course, there are already half a dozen
> > > portable video players on the market that use hard disks, so you can
> > > copy whatever videos you like onto them (versus only pre-recorded
videos
> > > on the PSP). Still, drop the price to $250 or less and they should do
> > > quite well indeed. Too bad they'll sell for twice that.
> >
> > I'll bet you $100 right here and now that the PSP will *NOT* sell for
> $500.
> >
> > The DS and PSP will both do well, but they are aimed at different
markets.
> > The Nintendo is aimed at children and young adults who don't care about
> > being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
> adults
> > do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are sitting
> > outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up
into
> > pocket, why would they flock to the DS? On the other hand, the PSP is
> aimed
> > at adults who already carry electronic gadgets--cell phones, PDAs,
> portable
> > DVD players, MP3 players, CD players, and so forth. Even though it plays
> > games, it also plays music and movies, which is likely to make it more
> > "acceptable" to adults who might otherwise look down their noses at
> > videogames.
> >
> The fact that all your music and movies will have to be purchased on a
> proprietary format, and if you want to watch or listen to anything you
> already own you'll have to buy it again, should make adults look down
their
> nose at the PSP (as a media player). Gaming on the PSP is another
argument.

> drax

I know that the movies will be in a proprietary format, but it is my
understanding that the PSP would be able to play MP3 files. Perhaps Sony has
changed its mind?

Drax

> "drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Garrett McGowan" <garrett@w-link.net> wrote in message

> life,

> videos
> > >
> > > I'll bet you $100 right here and now that the PSP will *NOT* sell for
> > $500.
> > >
> > > The DS and PSP will both do well, but they are aimed at different
> markets.
> > > The Nintendo is aimed at children and young adults who don't care
about
> > > being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
> > adults
> > > do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are
sitting
> > > outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up
> into
> > > pocket, why would they flock to the DS? On the other hand, the PSP is
> > aimed
> > > at adults who already carry electronic gadgets--cell phones, PDAs,
> > portable
> > > DVD players, MP3 players, CD players, and so forth. Even though it
plays
> > > games, it also plays music and movies, which is likely to make it more
> > > "acceptable" to adults who might otherwise look down their noses at
> > > videogames.
> > >
> > The fact that all your music and movies will have to be purchased on a
> > proprietary format, and if you want to watch or listen to anything you
> > already own you'll have to buy it again, should make adults look down
> their
> > nose at the PSP (as a media player). Gaming on the PSP is another
> argument.
> >
> > drax
>
> I know that the movies will be in a proprietary format, but it is my
> understanding that the PSP would be able to play MP3 files. Perhaps Sony
has
> changed its mind?

I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be including
an actual memory stick? If so what size?

drax

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> "Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
> > adults
> > > do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are
sitting
> > > outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up
> into
> >
> > Ummm...lots actually - just not the teeny boppers who think they are
> adults.
> > Most adults really don't worry too much about kiddie things like 'being
> > ridiculed'. Your are showing your age...ummm - maybe not yet to puberty?
>
> Hardly.
>
> As a 38 year-old, I have never seen someone my age or older playing a
> GameBoy by themselves on an airplane, on the light rail, in the park on a
> bench, in a movie theater before the show, at a restaurant, or basically
> anywhere else...unless they happen to borrow one from their kids who are
> with them. I don't know where you live, how old you are, or in what social
> circles you reside, but it just doesn't happen here. In fact, the only
time
> I ever see adults using a GBA is when my colleagues and I attend E3--we
bust
> them out during the long van ride.

Guess you haven't been to our Starbucks - I am 44, both my husband and I
play frequently in public. I just find it hard to imagine not playing due to
fear of ridicule...more likely lack of interest.

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>

>> I know that the movies will be in a proprietary format, but it is my
>> understanding that the PSP would be able to play MP3 files. Perhaps
>> Sony
> has
>> changed its mind?
>>

> I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be
> including an actual memory stick?

Not likely. Just the memory stick slot's a far better bet.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Let it be known that on Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:22:45 -0400, "drax"
<drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be including
>an actual memory stick? If so what size?

It'll probably be the same chance as Sony including a memory card with a
Playstation (i.e. never)

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > adults
> sitting
> > into
> > >
> > > Ummm...lots actually - just not the teeny boppers who think they are
> > adults.
> > > Most adults really don't worry too much about kiddie things like
'being
> > > ridiculed'. Your are showing your age...ummm - maybe not yet to
puberty?

> > Hardly.
> >
> > As a 38 year-old, I have never seen someone my age or older playing a
> > GameBoy by themselves on an airplane, on the light rail, in the park on
> > bench, in a movie theater before the show, at a restaurant, or basically
> > anywhere else...unless they happen to borrow one from their kids who are
> > with them. I don't know where you live, how old you are, or in what
social
> > circles you reside, but it just doesn't happen here. In fact, the only
> time
> > I ever see adults using a GBA is when my colleagues and I attend E3--we
> bust
> > them out during the long van ride.
>
> Guess you haven't been to our Starbucks - I am 44, both my husband and I
> play frequently in public. I just find it hard to imagine not playing due
> fear of ridicule...more likely lack of interest.

You obviously live in a more "enlightened" part of the country... :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

"drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be
> including an actual memory stick? If so what size?

I'd bet you a cheeseburger they'll use Duo.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

Drax

"Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
> "drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

> > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> I know that the movies will be in a proprietary format, but it is my
> >> understanding that the PSP would be able to play MP3 files. Perhaps
> >> Sony
> > has
> >> changed its mind?
> >>

> > I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be
> > including an actual memory stick?
>
> Not likely. Just the memory stick slot's a far better bet.

That's what I figured. IF that's the case then it'll cost you another $40
(at least) for a 128MB memory stick (if you go off brand). Even that is
still kind of small for an MP3 player

"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@spammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote in message
> "drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

> > I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be
> > including an actual memory stick? If so what size?
> >

> I'd bet you a cheeseburger they'll use Duo.

Duo?

drax wrote:

> "Aaron J. Bossig" wrote...
>
>>"drax" wrote...
>>
>>>I had forgotten that it had a memory stick slot, but will sony be
>>>including an actual memory stick? If so what size?
>>>
>>I'd bet you a cheeseburger they'll use Duo.
>
> Duo?

Memory Stick Duo, a smaller version of the Memory Stick that Sony
designed for compact applications, like cellphones and ultracompact
digital cameras. More of a direct competitor to the smaller SD/MMC and
xD-Picture Card media.

More info here:
http://tinyurl.com/4y5x6

HTH. HAND. :)

--
Glenn Shaw
Indianapolis, IN USA

"Glenn Shaw" <togusa@NOSPAMcomnet.cast> wrote in message
> drax wrote:
>
> > "Aaron J. Bossig" wrote...
> >
> >>"drax" wrote...

> >>I'd bet you a cheeseburger they'll use Duo.
> >
> > Duo?
>
> Memory Stick Duo, a smaller version of the Memory Stick that Sony
> designed for compact applications, like cellphones and ultracompact
> digital cameras. More of a direct competitor to the smaller SD/MMC and
> xD-Picture Card media.
>
> More info here:
> http://tinyurl.com/4y5x6
>
> HTH. HAND. :)
>
> --
> Glenn Shaw
> Indianapolis, IN USA
> To reply by e-mail, delete NOSPAM and transpose CAST and NET

thanks.

drax

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:30:12 GMT, "Android"
<androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

>"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > being ridiculed for playing a portable videogame in public. How many
>> adults
>> > do you see playing a GBA SP in public? Not many, unless you are sitting
>> > outside E3. If they won't play it now, when it is silver and folds up
>into
>>
>> Ummm...lots actually - just not the teeny boppers who think they are
>adults.
>> Most adults really don't worry too much about kiddie things like 'being
>> ridiculed'. Your are showing your age...ummm - maybe not yet to puberty?
>
>Hardly.
>
>As a 38 year-old, I have never seen someone my age or older playing a
>GameBoy by themselves on an airplane, on the light rail, in the park on a
>bench, in a movie theater before the show, at a restaurant, or basically
>anywhere else...unless they happen to borrow one from their kids who are
>with them. I don't know where you live, how old you are, or in what social
>circles you reside, but it just doesn't happen here. In fact, the only time
>I ever see adults using a GBA is when my colleagues and I attend E3--we bust
>them out during the long van ride.
>
>Despite the fact that console videogames have become more mainstream in the
>past decade or so, handheld videogames have not. The majority of people
>playing them are still pre-teens or the stereotypical socially inept single
>male. Anyone who works retail can confirm this--just ask them who is coming
>in to purchase GBA titles. If it is not young kids, it is the
>parents/grandparents buying the games for the young kids.

I am 31 years old, I have played videogames since the
Farichild/odessey2/2600 days. All my friends played games, and now as
adults we still play games. Do you get techtv/g4 on cable where you
live? Gaming isn't 'just for kids' anymore. It is a big business
geared towards everyone young/old, boy/girl it doesn't matter. This
old thinking of games are for the children is out of touch with
reality. I play my SP when ever I am bored. I don't care where I am. I
bought a flash card so it now doubles as a video player, a music
player and picture viewer. Games are fun no matter what your age.... I
didn't growup NOT to have fun..... now my parents can't tell me to
'turn off the game and go to bed' ..... but my wife, well....she still
tells me :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance, alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube, rec.games.video.nintendo, alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

On the issue of price point, the PSP sold in Japan early December for
$170 american. I can only imagine it will be closer to the DS price
when it reaches our shores.