Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for a good case (specific requirements inside)

Last response: in Components
August 4, 2011 6:49:56 PM

I've been looking for a case to meet my requirements but haven't had any luck yet. Here are my requirements:
- mid-tower
- cable management is a must. My current case has cables all over and it looks ugly. If I was doing a new build I'd go for a modular PSU, but my current one is still good, so I'll keep it.
- transparent side panel window that would open like a door
- removable dust filters so I don't have to disassemble it to clean the dust
- looks cool on the outside (not a requirement, but would be nice)
- price, cooling, number of hard drive bays is not important
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2011 9:42:48 PM

SILVERSTONE FORTRESS FT02

m
l

Best solution

a c 77 ) Power supply
August 4, 2011 10:52:11 PM

Corsair 650D...

Related resources
August 4, 2011 11:31:56 PM

One that comes to mind is the Antec 900, and 902 (even the 300 would fit but doesn't have a window). Either of these are much less than either pointed out above.
m
l
August 4, 2011 11:39:06 PM

SILVERSTONE FORTRESS FT02 : window is on the right side, I need my window to be on the left side.
Corsair 650D cable management looks good. Where are dust filters and how do you clean them?
I like Antec 900, but I've read it has very little space for cables.
m
l
August 4, 2011 11:42:17 PM

Usually I run the cables behind the MB tray, and HDD's. I have the HAF 932 Advance (has USB3.0 in front) great cable management, plenty of room too. The Azza Solano might work too (tall tho). Fan filters are easy to make anyway (pantyhose works great btw).
m
l
August 4, 2011 11:58:09 PM

IH8U said:
Usually I run the cables behind the MB tray, and HDD's. I have the HAF 932 Advance (has USB3.0 in front) great cable management, plenty of room too. The Azza Solano might work too (tall tho). Fan filters are easy to make anyway (pantyhose works great btw).

I'm afraid the full tower won't fit under my desk.
I just looked at Antec 902 and it looks like they improved it over 900 a bit. Still, I don't like that you have to unscrew the drive bays to clean the dust filters.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
August 5, 2011 12:17:24 AM

tyros said:
Corsair 650D cable management looks good. Where are dust filters and how do you clean them?

It has a front dust filter that has a spring action to pop off (push in on the top and the dust filter comes out). At that point, you simplely blow the dust out of the filter and pop it back into place.

It has a bottom PSU filter, so you can have the PSU fan facing down in the case. It just slides out the back of the case & you clean just like the front dust filter.

IMO, the Corsair 650D has the easiest dust filter cleaning access than any case I've used. My old Antec 1200, I had to unscrew at least 2 screws for each filter to remove, along with taking off the side panel. You have to push out the hard drive cage a little to get access to it. It was a lot more time consuming than I have to do now.
m
l
August 5, 2011 12:22:32 AM

tecmo34 said:
It has a bottom PSU filter, so you can have the PSU fan facing down in the case.

Is there any room between the bottom of the case and the PSU? If the fan is facing down, it has to suck air from somewhere :p 
Also, how thick is the cable compartment behind the mobo?
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
August 5, 2011 12:30:37 AM

It has at least an inch to two inches of space between the desk & bottom of the case. Behind the motherboard is probably around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I would need to measure to get the exact measurement.
m
l
August 5, 2011 1:26:42 AM

I know I can read reviews, I just wanted to ask the people who actually own a case and can recommend it. I might go for Corsair650D. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
m
l
August 12, 2011 12:06:02 AM

Best answer selected by tyros.
m
l
!