Sign in with
Your question

5850 Cross fire has a lower framerate than one 5850. Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2011 2:04:35 AM

Hey,

I've just upgraded to two XFX 5850's. However i'm having issues when i'm using them together in crossfire.

First, sys specs.

Cpu- E8400 (core 2 duo) @ 3.9ghz

mem - 2x2 gig of Kingston hyperx 8400

Mobo - Asus P5Q pro (supports crossfire at x8/x8)

As for the two cards, they are slightly different, one beign the 585x - ZAF and the other being the 585x - ZNF. But according to all i can find they are the same board, but one has a different cooler on it. Hence why i bought them.

PSU-Coolermaster silent pro gold 800w.

The problem is that when i enable crossfire, my framerate (as meausured by FRAPS) actually drops. I'm using Bulletstorm (max everything, 4xAA) for testing, and with one card the frame rate is about 40-60 fps. with both running it runs at about 30-35, so a very significant drop.

Most of the results online usually end up beign someone running a 16x/4x configuration, but that shouldn't be possible here as there are only two pci-e 16 slots on this mobo!

CCC is detecting/enabling crossfire fine. GPU-Z identifies both cards, says they are running at 8x/8x.

So pretty stuck and kinda annoyed. Any suggestions?

nb: I don't think this is a driver problem-single card works fine.
a c 201 U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 2:17:14 AM

Does Bulletstorm support CF? Try using a few different games, what i found for bulletstorm was that a quad core is recommended so its likely fairly CPU intensive which means that adding a second GPU and therefore increasing your CPU load would have made it even more of a bottleneck so definitely try with other games, some less CPU intensive ones too.
m
l
March 2, 2011 8:31:32 PM

Well i just tried COD: BO and got a similar result, 75 frame average for the single card, 70 for both. Although I guess cod is typically fairly cpu intensive.
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 8:44:59 PM

After installing second card you should uninstall your drivers, run driver sweeper, and then reinstall the drivers. Might want to try 10.12 drivers too... 11.2 don't seem to good but they should work at least...

Also you have to download and install the separate CAP (crossfire application profiles). It's located on the same page as 11.2 drivers.

Finally you should try downloading MSI Afterburner as you can see a timeline graph of what's going on from FPS to gpu clocks and gpu usage.

Oh right one more thing, only use 1 CF bridge not 2. I tried 2 and it had issues. OK and 1 more thing (serious this time) you might have to try switching the top and bottom cards although that probably won't change anything. But it might.
m
l
March 2, 2011 9:01:13 PM

And i just tried the benchmark on World in conflict, went from (average,min,max) 29,9,105 under crossfire to 37,11,127 on one card. So unless my CPu is bottlenecking all these results (which seems unlikely, 3.9 ghz is pretty fast) it seems something is messing up on the crossfire end.
m
l
March 2, 2011 10:42:24 PM

Cheers for the help wolfram but as yet no luck.

I tried installing the CAP, but that made things worse.

Then i tried uninstalling the drivers, and reinstalling them. Now worse than they were before! Haven't tried the 10.12 drivers et, takes a while to reinstall stuff and on verge of giving up.

I'm pretty sure i have to use both bridges, I only had one connected to begin with and CCC would recognise my crossfire...

Don't want to take the cards out, the power cables are hard up against my HD bay and it makes movign them a massive effort.

at a bit of a loss now. i guess i could install 64bit windows 7 (currently on 32 bit vista) but doesn't really seem like that would make a big difference.
m
l
March 2, 2011 10:56:32 PM

actually i meant wouldn't recognise my setup
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 11:17:33 PM

That's odd, performance shouldn't have gone down.

Which card is the master and which is the slave?

m
l
March 3, 2011 2:19:28 AM

That is odd. I get 120-250fps with a 5750 cf with a 5770 in BO. My performance def. went up. Your processor is a little weak, maybe that is why you are not seeing much improvment.
m
l
March 3, 2011 8:01:49 PM

Cheers guys, i've solved the problem by installing windows 7 on a new hard drive, something i've been meaning to do for a while, then installing the latest drivers fresh onto that copy. so possibly it was some old nvidia drivers conflicting with the crossfire? I'll never know but working now. even with my processor i'm running metro2033 at max everything,1920x1080 and getting 30-50 fps. should prob turn soemthing down but it looks incredible!
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 3, 2011 8:21:47 PM

Good stuff man! I did the same thing for Metro... Everything on (except AAA instead of 4xMSAA so that DoF would work). But I overclocked my cards for it to 870/1200. Stayed pretty steadily above 40fps except in one or two places.
m
l
April 2, 2011 3:22:45 PM

tobiov said:
Cheers guys, i've solved the problem by installing windows 7 on a new hard drive, something i've been meaning to do for a while, then installing the latest drivers fresh onto that copy. so possibly it was some old nvidia drivers conflicting with the crossfire? I'll never know but working now. even with my processor i'm running metro2033 at max everything,1920x1080 and getting 30-50 fps. should prob turn soemthing down but it looks incredible!

I'm dealing with the same problem, but formating my pc didn't solved nothing...
m
l
!