Sign in with
Your question

First PC Build

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2011 12:52:56 AM

Hey everyone, I'm new here and also new to PC building.

I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought about the following build I am planning to do in around 4 weeks time (waiting to get home from uni). Any changes anybody would suggest (Budget £600)?

Because I'm new I've tried removing anything that relates to the site that I put this together on, just in case this causes problems.
The text in red is what I added for a little more information for myself when I review the parts before buying.

P.S. There is no Graphics Card included because somebody else is buying this for me (GTX 570 probably)

More about : build

a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 1:37:00 AM

The main problem is going to be connecting the monitor .

You dont include a gfx card and theres no onboard gfx on that motherboard
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 1:51:46 AM

genghiskron said:
^ reading fail.

yep
May 9, 2011 12:21:04 AM

So, does anybody have any comments other than the mistaken one about the graphics card? xD
May 9, 2011 12:34:48 AM

It looks like a good build. Its hard to give specific suggestions because the prices are different in the UK. I never hear people raving about the reliability of Cooler Master PSUs. I dont believe theyre terrible, but i would personally go for an antec, xfx, corsair or seasonic brand. Ive also never heard of that cpu cooler, but gelid makes some nice fans. The build should work out well as is. I personally think the scythe mugen 2 rev b aka. scmg-2100 is the best value cpu cooler available, but many seem to lean towards the cooler master hyper 212.
May 9, 2011 1:01:17 AM

genghiskron said:
It looks like a good build. Its hard to give specific suggestions because the prices are different in the UK. I never hear people raving about the reliability of Cooler Master PSUs. I dont believe theyre terrible, but i would personally go for an antec, xfx, corsair or seasonic brand. Ive also never heard of that cpu cooler, but gelid makes some nice fans. The build should work out well as is. I personally think the scythe mugen 2 rev b aka. scmg-2100 is the best value cpu cooler available, but many seem to lean towards the cooler master hyper 212.

The reason I went with Cooler Master for the PSU is I read a few good reviews about it, plus it fits nicely within my budget. I could go to the Corsair GS800 which I can get for around £80 ($130). But then it's not modular. Decisions decisions! :( 

As for XFX, I read an 850w blew up in one review when they stressed it, although they stressed it really hard and it isn't likely i would want to draw so much power from it in normal use, a PSU for so much should have better safety measures I would have thought.

I chose the Gelid CPU cooler over the 212 because of it's quietness at a similar performance. I've not looked into the scythe, I will give it a look.

Thanks for the response! :) 
!