4250 versus Intel HD

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I'm looking into buying the Asus A52N which has a X3 Phenom II core at 2.1ghz and the RS880 chipset which has the 4250 mobility radeon IGP. I was wondering if I'd be able to play WoW or SC2 on this chipset and also is the Intel HD on the core i3 or the i5 460M any better than the 4250?
I know cpu wise Intel is way faster but I am not looking so much for speed but I do want to be able to play some basic games on the lowest settings.

The Asus A52N can be found for around 450 dollars and the i3 can be found around the same price and the i5 460m is around 550 dollars.
Any advise would be much appreciated!

Solution
Both IGPs perform about the same, pretty crappy. The more recent Sandy Bridge laptops have faster IGPs that can almost get the job done and should allow you to game on low settings. If you really want to play any games you need a dedicated GPU. You could also just wait for Lanno APUs to come out latter this year which will basically combine a phenom quad core with a 5550. That should provide you with a cheap enough alternative.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
The closest deal I found was the HP Pavillion with the option to include the ATI 6550 but that bumps the price to about 600 dollars. I'm still very leery of HP and their Pavilion line though, one of my friends had their motherboard fry up on their pavilion laptop which made it a nice paperweight. lol.

I don't have a lot of money at the moment but I kind of need a laptop soon for studying. The Asus laptop is 430 dollars after rebates so I might just settle for that since the price can't be beat.

Both IGPs perform about the same, pretty crappy. The more recent Sandy Bridge laptops have faster IGPs that can almost get the job done and should allow you to game on low settings. If you really want to play any games you need a dedicated GPU. You could also just wait for Lanno APUs to come out latter this year which will basically combine a phenom quad core with a 5550. That should provide you with a cheap enough alternative.

Solution