Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ODD + Raid + Trim on sata only Mobo Z77/68

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 7:27:26 PM

So, i've got my Asus Z77 V-pro (thanks scan), and this is the first time that i've set up a board without IDE.

I've 2x500GB WD RE4's which i'd like to have in AID0 as my data drive
A Crucial M4 128Gb which will be my OS drive.
and i'm going to have to get a sata ODD of some kind.

So the asmedia 6G ports can't take ODD's
So the plan is to install the crucial on the intel 6G's and the WD's on the 3G's and the ODD on one of the 3G's

If I did that and raided the WD's would the optical still work (I can't see that it wouldn't as you have to have an ODD and having the use of raid stopping the use of an ODD seems wrong?) would the crucial still have trim functioning, as it wouldn't be in the array.

I'm waiting for the 3570K so I can't just test it as I don't have an 1155 CPU to hand.
a c 715 V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 8:04:34 PM

You don't want to RAID 0 any 'DATA' drives especially mechanical HDD's. As far as the ODD that depends on the ODD. On my LGA 2011 which is running in RAID the ODD works fine. but older SATA ODD's might not run or run properly. In the instance where the ODD doesn't work under RAID you have (2) choices: 1. Firmware upgrade for the ODD, or 2. New ODD -- they're ~$20 for a DVD Writer.
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 8:12:20 PM

I've got automated backups to a server running every day, and these are raid edition drives, and i'm on a UPS, so the aid0 risk is managed.

I currently have no Sata ODD, so it will be new regardless.

Any thoughts on trim on non-raided drives, but with the controller in raid mode?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 8:47:41 PM

Then RAID 10 them (you'll need 2 more), I know exactly what you have -- I have a pair of RE4-GP WD2002FYPS 2TB in RAID 1. Unless the Crucial M4 are in RAID themselves TRIM will still work.
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 8:59:33 PM

Best answer selected by 13thmonkey.
!